short circiut AC condenser

Old 10-18-07, 06:38 PM
short circiut AC condenser

I have a 5 1/2 year old 4 ton goodman Ac unit and noted No AC when I got home yesterday.Furnace was working but no cold air coming from vents.I check circiut and noted reset breaker for condenser unit.I went outside to check unit , noted smell of burnt rubber and black ash on top corner of unit where electrical wiring enters unit.I left the breaker off and furnace off.I called to schedule service but earliest appointment will be on saturday.Do you think the whole unit needs to be replaced? Does condenser unit have fuse to prevent the whole thing to get damage in an event of short circuit.I called goodman and told me that unit has only five year warranty but will reconsider if parts needed to be replace. thanks for taking time to response to my question.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-07, 06:48 PM
Residential condenser units have very simple circuits and it's fairly easy to repair a burnt wire. The only thing that would completely kill your unit is a short within the compressors motor windings. That repair would involve an extensive amount of labor, because it entails work on the refrigerant side of things. If the electrical short occured at a contactor or capacitor or a burnt wire between, it should be a simple repair. If you're comfortable with electrical repair, splicing wires, etc. open up the electrical panel and see what you can figure out, there should be a wiring diagram, schematic there.

Old 10-18-07, 07:17 PM
short circuit ac condenser

Thanks for the reply, I'm hoping it's only the contactor/capacitor or wiring burnt out.I did not open the unit yet,I'm waiting for the service tech to check first.I only noticed blackened ash on the side of panel where the wiring enters the unit which I'm assuming where the capacitor,contactor are located.I did not see any signs of burnt wiring inside towards the motor.Do you have any idea what problem would lead to short circuit of the unit?thanks

Old 10-19-07, 11:29 AM
Wink

[QUOTE noted smell of burnt rubber and black ash on top corner of unit where electrical wiring enters unit.I left the breaker off and furnace off.][/QUOTE]
Can just be in the wire there by the contactor. Some time from a storm will hit the unit and a capacitor blows and the oil from it will cause a fire that way

Old 10-19-07, 02:28 PM
short circuit

Service tech came in today and check the unit.He said the 2 capacitors,contactors and all the wires burn.To fix it ,he gave me an estimate $2085 to replace capacitors/contactor and all the wiring.He said he cannot guarantee if the unit will work because he is not sure if the motor is also damage.He said there is no way for him to check if motor was burn.If it's gonna cost me $2000 I'll buy a trane or carrier for extra $1000.I can change the wiring,capacitor and contactor but I'm not sure if its burns again the moment i turn the unit on.I will probably have it replaced.thanks for the reply.

Old 10-19-07, 04:58 PM
Wink

Get 3 more bids on it there. He could have Ohm out the compressor to see if its good or not and have checked the fan . Id say thats high to rewire , contactor, and capacitors

Old 10-19-07, 09:38 PM
short circuit

I called the manufacturer and told me that possibility of replacing unit but problem is my unit was 10 seer and they don't make them anymore.So probably if they will replace ,it's gonna be 13 seer.If this is the case do I have to replace the coil in the furnace since its probably rated for 10 seer.Or if they will not replace unit,if i decide to buy my own condenser is it possible different brand for condenser and just keep old furnace and just upgrade coil to match up 13 seer.thanks for the time replying.

Old 10-20-07, 01:18 PM
the price he gave you seems very, and I mean VERY high. I've changed compressors on units for half that price. Find another company.

Old 10-20-07, 06:04 PM
Angry

$2000 bucks? Are you kidding me? Get another bid becuase there is no way that should cost that much. I have been in the HVAC feild for a little over 10 years and it makes me mad when I see dirty contractors taking money from people. If I were to repair it, 2 caps, contactor, wire, and a couple hours work would run you about $400 bucks. And the compressor is easy to see if it's bad. Meg it then ohm the windings. If it passes, your good to go. It's not rocket science. It's simple motor troubleshooting.

Old 10-21-07, 10:45 AM
Angry pricing

Sounds like flat rate pricing to me and the tech didnt adjust for multiable problems. Price is way to high.
He should have done a ohm and megaohm check on compressor at least that would verify motor of compressor being shorted or open. Mechanicly cant check unless he can get power to it.
You need to call another contractor and have them verify.
Some offer free 2nd opinions.
I have had them check out good and then put power to them only to find out compressor is locked up.
And sloooo is right this aint rocket science its simple troubleshooting in this field. Well it should be at least.
Unfortunatly bad techs and contractors give the rest of us a bad reputation.