AC turned off, still leaks

Old 10-23-07, 09:04 AM
AC turned off, still leaks

Howdy all, n00b here hoping for your help. I have two questions.

1/ The first one is, I have an indoor air conditoning unit that's been turned off for more than two weeks. But it's still leaking water into the drip pan. The sign on the unit says it's a First Co. 18RAQ-3

Why would a turned-off unit be producing water? And how can I stop it?

2/ The second question is, the unit's drain is chronically clogged. The pipe has two distinct L-bends, where I'm guessing rust etc. gather. There is no water flow whatsoever. I've tried to unclog the drain mechanically, but I can't get past the first bend in the pipe. It's been clogged many times, and eventually the apartment complex sends out the maintenance engineer to unclog it. He does so quickly and without tools, it seems. I'm not sure what chemical he uses.

My question: Is there a chemical I can buy that's gentle on the pipes but that will clear the blockage?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Sid.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-07, 09:08 AM
1. Check and see if the outdoor unit is off. Could still be running and freezing up on the coil. I would for sure get maintenance involved.

2. He probably sucks it out with a shop vac from outside. If you can access the condensate line you could have a tee put in the line with a cap on it. Every 2-4 weeks pour some bleach into the line and this will help keep it open.

Old 10-23-07, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by mattison View Post
1. Check and see if the outdoor unit is off. Could still be running and freezing up on the coil. I would for sure get maintenance involved.

2. He probably sucks it out with a shop vac from outside. If you can access the condensate line you could have a tee put in the line with a cap on it. Every 2-4 weeks pour some bleach into the line and this will help keep it open.
Thanks mattison.

I had thought that was a completely self-contained indoor unit. Its coils etc. are warm to the touch. I hadn't considered that it was connected to a larger outdoor unit. This is a 2nd floor unit, so any water from a larger unit outside would have to go up a floor.

WRT to putting in a T, access is extremely difficult, a very narrow space. When I get this clog cleared, I'm taking your advice and will routinely clean the drain!

Old 10-23-07, 11:32 AM
Wink

Most the time the drain line is just PVC pipe. Hey you can cut it out and work a new one in there with the T. You just need pipe, fittings, glue and a cutter for it is all dont cost much. If the 90oL jam up all the time . you could use two
45oL for them.