Trying to Attach Hunter TStat to Luxaire

Old 10-27-07, 12:16 AM
Trying to Attach Hunter TStat to Luxaire

I have a Luxaire air handler, Model NAMB-FD14AC, that was installed in 1988. I am trying to replace the old mercury thermostat that was originally installed with a Hunter Model 44860. I am completely perplexed because I can't get the wiring to match. Therefore, when I turn the system on, I just get a slight hum, but nothing else. I had the following wires on the old thermostat.
W-White
B-Brown
G-Green
R-Red
X-Black
O-Orange
Y-Yellow

On the Hunter, I have the following connections

W2-White
W2-E
G-Green
O-Orange
Y1-Yellow
RC/R - Red
RC/R-RH
C-Black

Brown and Blue are just hanging there.

What have I done wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-07, 01:06 AM
OK, my first question is did you make a drawing to show what wire color went to which terminal on your old thermostat before you removed it? If you did, what color went where? It's not a bad thing if you didn't write it down, but it's not a good thing either...lol. There are standard colors that go to all AC systems, but not all technicians will follow that standard. Some use what they have.

You also say that your old t-stat is a Hunter. Is that correct? I think I'm reading it right, I just want to make sure. Now, what is the name and model of your new thermostat?

Fill in the blanks above, and we will be able to get your system up and running with a just a few more questions. Once your answer, I will know where we need to go!!

Old 10-27-07, 06:50 AM
My new thermostat is a Hunter. The old one is an unbranded mercury thermostat that I assume came with the Luxaire, since it has been in place since the original installation.

I did not make a drawing, but my post showed which wires were going to which terminals on the old thermostat.

White went to W
Brown went to B
Green went to G
Red went to R
Black went to X
Orange went to O
Yellow went to Y
The blue wire was attached to nothing
There was also T and H terminals, but they had nothing attached to them.

Old 10-27-07, 08:42 AM
Here is a photo with the wires colored in. Hope this helps. I forgot to add the blue wire, since it was not connected to anything.

Old 10-27-07, 01:30 PM
I finally figured it out. I called a local Luxaire dealer and he told me which wires went where. Also, there was a tiny little switch inside the air handler. Once I flipped this switch everything started working.