Basic question about mini-split systems

Old 11-09-07, 08:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Basic question about mini-split systems

Hello. This is all new to me, so bear with my question if it's obvious. I just bought an older, duct-less home and I'm thinking about my cooling options. I'm weighing central a/c vs. in-wall / window units vs. mini-split systems.

The first floor of the house has three rooms that all open in to one another with no doors (approximately 700sq ft). The second floor has three bedrooms (approximately 600sq ft). How many indoor units would I need if I went with a mini-split system? Would my best bet be one unit on the first floor, and 3 on the second floor (with each bedroom getting it's own)? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-07, 02:23 PM
What does the home have for heat source? You said ductless, i am guessing hot water? if you have forced air, then go Central Air.

If hot water heat, then I'd go with the Mini Split, one for the main floor, and one upstairs. But I don't know how the floor is laid out up there, and are all 3 bedrooms used full time?

Old 11-09-07, 11:28 PM
What do you mean by ductless?

Old 11-14-07, 09:50 AM
By ductless, I meant that no duct work is currently in place. The house has hot water heat. All 3 of the bedrooms are used full time. Thanks.

Old 11-14-07, 12:20 PM
How much room is there in the attic? If there's alot of space, then duct can work out, but if the space is very limited, then you are almost forced to min-split.

Old 12-23-07, 12:50 PM
Just so you know, the blowers in ducltess units are not nearly as powerful as the ones in ducted systems...ductless may work wonders in the individual rooms upstairs, but may not work as well in the larger wall-less area in the lower floor, the air distribution could end up being far from ideal