Help w/ T-Stat... Lennox 10HPB and Hunter 44550

Old 11-11-07, 08:16 PM
Help w/ T-Stat... Lennox 10HPB and Hunter 44550

Hello, everyone, I'm having issues with my thermostat I just installed. It's a Hunter 44550 running a Lennox 10HPB unit. I bought this thermostat for the sole fact that I want one with auto-switching; here in Jax, FL it's getting hot during the day and cool at night so I want something that can jump from A/C to heat and back automatically. The unit seems to cool fine, but when I crank up the temp to call for heat, the output air feels about room temperature. The original connections on my Honeywell T8411R were:

green - G
red - R
blue - C
yellow - Y*
brown - W2
black - E
orange - O

* Looking at the manual it seems there was a jumper from W1 - Y; there isn't now, could it have fallen out? The manual says to remove the jumper for units with a separate heating contactor, which I'm fairly sure I don't have so I'm thinking it fell out...?

After going through the Hunter instructions and *trying* to follow their wiring transfer scheme, I came up with:

red - RH
jumper - RH to RC
green - G
yellow - Y
brown - W
orange - O

As mentioned above, should I account for the 'mystery jumper' from W1 to Y on the old stat by jumping W and Y on the new one?

Thanks!!

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-07, 08:41 PM
After looking at the schematic on the old stat, it seems to make sense, using the jumper on Y to trigger the contactor for heat which would (I think) explain why I don't get any heat on the new one since I don't have this jumpered.

But I'm afraid to try it... Any input? Am I nuts or starting to get the hang of this?

Thanks!!

Ryan

Old 11-12-07, 04:44 AM
Another quick followup - when the stat calls for heat, the compressor and fan never turn on...

Ryan

Old 11-12-07, 05:38 AM
It looks like you bought the wrong stat. Your old one had 2 stage heat with emergency heat. First stage turns on compressor, second stage turns on auxiliary heat strips, emergency should turn on emergency heat strips or, depending on the stat, both the aux and emergency heat strips.

The existing stat could be made to work (not a good idea), but you would not be able to energize the heat strips (it was designed for a heat pump with no supplemental heat strips).

I believe the compressor is not turning on because the stat needs to be programmed or setup for heat pump operation.

I suggest you buy a different stat.

Perhaps a Honeywell would be a better choice.

Old 11-12-07, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by neonstorm View Post
a Hunter 44550 running a Lennox 10HPB unit.
What do you have for air handler or furnace inside? (make and model)
If air handler, do you have electric heat on it?

I bought this thermostat for the sole fact that I want one with auto-switching; here in Jax, FL it's getting hot during the day and cool at night so I want something that can jump from A/C to heat and back automatically.
What kind of temps are you talking about here?
The unit seems to cool fine, but when I crank up the temp to call for heat, the output air feels about room temperature.
Is this issue with the old or new t-stat? I am guessing it's the new one from your posting below.
As mentioned above, should I account for the 'mystery jumper' from W1 to Y on the old stat by jumping W and Y on the new one?
No, you don't want to jumper the new one.

Tell you the truth, drop the Hunter and get a REAL t-stat like Honeywell FocusPro. Many tech out there has reported issues with Hunter.

Are a person who programs their set backs?

Old 11-12-07, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the input guys. While researching my problem it seems that a lot of people agree with your opinion of Hunter stats. I'm giving up on Lowe's; this is the second one I've bought that they told me would work. I'm going ot check out Home Depot next. What do you think of this one? HD's website doesn't give much info, but after Googling it, it seems it will do the trick. Any opinions?

Plus I'm hoping that switching from Honeywell -> Honeywell will be more of a direct wiring swap instead of Hunter's poorly documented universal wiring...

As far as the make and model of air handler, I'm at work and can check back in later.

The temps are swinging from mid-80s during the day to upper 40s/mid 50s at night. I guess that's not really 'hot and cold' but it's enough to make it cold at night if we forget to switch to heat, and hot during the day if we forget to switch to a/c.

Thanks for you guys' input!!

Ryan

Old 11-12-07, 09:13 AM
Yes, that t-stat will work out for you.. RTH7500 model will have the Auto switch over.

Old 11-17-07, 06:38 AM
A quick update with a quick question:

The budget's a little tight with a little one on the way, and I 'lucked out' because my office had just replaced a Totaline 0474-0100. I installed it at home and everything is working great now. A programmable unit would've been nice, but my 8:30-5:30 job paired up with my wife's fluctuating retail job schedule make it really pointless to try and program a t-stat right now.

My question is this: I wasn't able to track down any install instructions for the 0474-0100, but it was a direct wiring swap EXCEPT for the black 'E' wire from my old stat. Right now it is just taped off behind the stat. I believe it runs the emergency heat, which the new stat has a function for, I'm just not sure where to connect it.

Thanks!!

Ryan

Old 11-17-07, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by neonstorm View Post

My question is this: I wasn't able to track down any install instructions for the 0474-0100, but it was a direct wiring swap EXCEPT for the black 'E' wire from my old stat. Right now it is just taped off behind the stat. I believe it runs the emergency heat, which the new stat has a function for, I'm just not sure where to connect it.

Thanks!!

Ryan
Hey Ryan,

Here is a copy of the Manual.

I would look at it deep, but I got supper in the oven that I need to get out.. I'll come back later on and read up on it closer..

Old 11-17-07, 04:46 PM
Found the install manual.

Looks like E is not used on this t-stat... I'd go down to the air handler(or furnace? What do you have there) and see where the E and W2 wire is going to.

Old 11-17-07, 05:32 PM
Thanks Jay11J. Hope you enjoyed dinner...

How on Earth did you find the install manual? I'd found the operation manual, but searched and searched and couldn't find the install one... Well thanks!

I opened the air handler and found that the black wire goes... nowhere! Chalk it up to a wild goose chase I guess. Thanks for the advice!!

Ryan

Old 11-17-07, 05:42 PM
It may help if you had the right model # ;-)

You had O, they don't use O for model#, the use P.

Well, glad to find out that the black wire went no where!

With a heat pump, you are best to set it and forget it! That way you are not using the electric strip heat.

Did you get the t-stat programed OK?

And, yes, we had a good supper.. Baked fish, with steamed red baby red potatoes.