tried to install split system myself and gas came out of the pipe

Old 11-16-07, 06:03 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question tried to install split system myself and gas came out of the pipe

I tried to install split system myself, the pipes attached to the outside and inside units had covers screwed on to them, and there was a long pipe to connect them bother, I connected this pipe to the outside unit no worries, then I started taking off the covers to the inside unit pipes and gas stared coming out, for about 3 seconds gas came before I resealed the cover. I clearly don’t know what I am doing and I should have got someone to install it like directed, I guess I will call someone tomorrow… Do you think I will need to get it re-gassed?

I have no idea how I would have connected the pipe without letting out gas

Old 11-16-07, 06:37 AM
M

Gas came out of the middle pipe (the one just sticking its head out of the black foam)

I have no idea what the grey pipe is, I assume it is to let out excess moisture ?

Old 11-16-07, 07:11 AM
That was just a nitrogen charge "no problem" that came out but yes you will need a pro to vacuum it down properly, leak check it, and get the charge to the correct level. Besides you must be EPA certified to even touch the refrigerant side of the system.

Old 11-16-07, 03:27 PM
Looks like a Zooling

Which is a mini split from China. Over there they sell them like refrigerators.

The home owner hooks them up, where they want them and a TECH comes out and vaccuums the system and gets the unit up and running.

But that is there, not here.

As Mattison said, you need a tech. Yes you could let the nitrogen out and finish the actual hook up. Then call a tech to vaccuum, open valves and make sure everything is hunky dorey.

But, the unknown is how much moisture and other contaminants got into the system when you hooked it up? And, how much damage was caused by that while it was in the system before being removed?

So, don't make a ticking time bomb or open a Pandoras box. Leave the rest of the nitrogen in the indoor unit and get a pro to finish the job.

Oh, the outdoor unit looks to close the the house. It need more clearance than that.

Old 11-16-07, 05:20 PM
M
Thanks .

Old 05-03-09, 04:17 AM
M
for an extra $2 they could easily make these systems with an gas release knob! that way the installer would not have to bring a gas compressor and people like me could install them. But still dont know if people like me can drill holes though 30cm thick brick (well I didnít have the tool). I know the compressor measures the pressure and tell the installer if there is enough gas in it but they did not need to put any more gas in mine.

I got it install ok but it cost me $400.

Old 05-04-09, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you got that system installed correctly and it only cost $400 you got a deal

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: