Outside unit frozen while HEAT was on?

Old 11-25-07, 06:53 AM
Outside unit frozen while HEAT was on?

Hello, all. I have a question. My outside unit (a bryant) froze up over night while my heat was on. I woke this morning and it was making a strange noise while the fan was running. The entire exposed coil is froze up so thick that you can't see the protective wire around the unit. All the pipes and the compressor? on the inside of the unit are frozen, but the pipes coming from the unit to the house are not frozen. My heat was on and the unit is less than 4 years old, so I really don't know what the problem could be. Any advise would be excellent as I have turned off the unit in hopes of it defrosting. BTW the temp outside is now 38 degrees F. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-07, 07:20 AM
Sounds like you have a defrost problem. If it is a timed defrost could be a simple as setting the time down lower. But you could also need a new defrost board.

Old 11-25-07, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
Sounds like you have a defrost problem. If it is a timed defrost could be a simple as setting the time down lower. But you could also need a new defrost board.
OK. How would I set the time lower? I lived here last year and this didn't happen. So, would that indicate that I would need the new board? If the board is needed, is that a repair that I can do? Thank you so much.

Old 11-25-07, 06:13 PM
What is the full model # of the unit outside?

You can switch over to cool and run it till the coil clears up, and switch back to heat.

Then run it for awhile to see what happens.

Old 11-28-07, 05:21 AM
Hi, all. After the unit defrosted the other day, I turned it back on and the unit ran fine until this morning. My unit is now frozen over again. The model number on my Bryant unit is 661cj036e. Please, help. I am, out of work and I have five kids. I can't afford to call a professional. Thank you so much.

Naomi

Old 11-29-07, 04:38 AM
Hi, again. I did as suggested with the defrosting and the unit seems to be running fine right now, although it may be a little louder than normal (not sure if it is or if I am just paying more attention to it now). But, what is causing this? Am I correct to assume that this will just keep happening? I am really going to show my ignorance here, but I don't understand why the unit froze up at all. I thought that 'freezing up' was a result of low freon or a freon leak. Thank you so much for any future advise and for the advise already given!

Naomi

Old 11-29-07, 09:44 AM
The frost is normal for heat pump system in the heating mode. Your outdoor unit coil becomes cold.. with the humidity in the air, it's collecting on the coil and frosting up.. that is normal.

Since you said you've swtich over to cool for a few min, the frost went away, and went back to heat you were fine..

Sounds like your defrost control is not working like it should.

I will try to look up your model, and see what you got for defrost this evening.

Old 11-30-07, 12:02 AM
OK. I was just getting ready to go to bed and I could hear the unit from inside the house, so I went to check it out. It hasn't completely frozen up, but it is starting to. I have noticed that the unit will run fine until I try to get the house up past 68 degrees. I set the thermostat at 70 about an hour ago, so the house would be warm when the kids got up for school, which is what I try to do most nights. So, maybe if I keep the thermostat at 68 or below I won't have this problem?? Thanks.

Naomi

Old 11-30-07, 05:57 AM
Here is the Service Manual, down load it.

Look at page 3, Step VII. Take the cover off to see if the defrost thermostat is in place as seen in FIG.5.

Page 7 towards the end "Defrost" tells you how it should be working..

Do you have a meter to check out the themostat otuside as shown in FIG.5?

Turning up your temp has nothing to do with it... IT just giving the equipment a longer run time.

Old 03-23-08, 08:25 PM
Hi, again. I had an HVAC guy out and he installed a new defrost board and swirth. But, the unit has continued to freeze (not as bad as before). I have had him come out 2 more times and he says that the unit is working as it should. He says that my problem is with the size of my return air vent. He said if I took out some of the things blocking the airflow (the duct inside the vent was cut about four inches smaller than the opening) that it would be fixed. I have done that - still freezing. So, my question to ya'll is how big should the return hole be in a 2000 sq ft house (i have one upstairs and downstairs). Also, do you think this is my problem?

Thank you again,
Naomi

Old 03-24-08, 11:28 AM
Does anyone know what could be causing this? I know winter is almost over (hopefully), but the unit is frozen over right now. I have paid for 3 service calls and the problem still isn't fixed. I don't know if I should call someone else or what to do. Please, advise. Thank you all so much.

Old 03-24-08, 11:49 AM
Wink

As to the return air you dont say how big the unit is???? A good job is like 80sq" per ton in the duct 60sq" per ton is very tight.. The return air dont have anything to do with the outside coil getting air. Now its the out side unit that freeze up???? If so Is the TXV valve out there good??? Have they been putting gas in it??? If so can you have Contaminate or noncondensables in it ???? Is the freon charge right????
New defrost board so is all wires to it ok. Same tech 3 times . Id say get a new tech to look at it.

Old 03-27-08, 08:35 AM
Thank you, Ed. As to the first part of your post - I don't know. I am also not sure what your conversion factor means. The product number is 661cjx036000aeaa and the model number is 661cj036e. I looked on the unit, but couldn't find the tonnage. I don't know if he put any gas in, he didn't charge me for any - so, I doubt it. But, he told me that he checked the pressure and looked for any leaks. He said the unit checked out fine - pressure and defrost timing were good. Some measurements that I do know - house 2000sq. ft. ; returns - 16 x 20. Thank you guys so much.

Naomi

Old 02-12-14, 06:02 AM
Naomi,

What ever became of your Heat Pump freezing up outside? I am experiencing a similar situatution with mine. Had one service call so far and had 3 lbs of freon added.

Thanks,
Joseph

Old 02-12-14, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Naomi has not been back here in 5yrs. Suggest you start a new thread with your question so someone else can help you.