Drainage from A/C leaving stain on outside wall?

Old 11-26-07, 07:57 AM
Upvotes Received: 1
Drainage from A/C leaving stain on outside wall?

I have a question about my home HVAC system. I notice a drain on the outside wall of the house near the roof. I assume this is a drain for any discharge from the central A/C. I have the split unit type: a unit in the attic and heat pump outside on a concrete slab. I have a Trane XE 1000.

Just during the last year the discharge from the drain is leaving a sort of yellow/possibly rusty stain on the wall of the house. I have hard water, but I have never seen this stain before. My HVAC system is 11 years old.

I had an A/C tuneup a few years ago, and the technician noticed rust and said the system only had a few years left in it.

The A/C ran fine this summer. I turned it off a few weeks ago because the Arizona weather finally cooled.

Isn't this service fcalled A/C tuneup/checkup? What do they look for when they do this service? I don't remember.

Is this stain an indication of something serious?

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-07, 11:42 AM
That drain at the roof is likely your emergency drain. This means either your primary drain is blocked or the primary drain pan is cracked or rusted through and is leaking into the emergency drain pan.

Your technician can blow out the primary drain or determine if there is another problem. If it's just blocked, you could possibly do it yourself.

Old 11-26-07, 12:04 PM
Upvotes Received: 1
Does this mean the emergency drain prevented any water damage from overflow?

I don't need A/C this time of year, but can I use the heat? Or might this cause damage or drainage hazards?

Old 11-26-07, 03:07 PM
The emergency drain pan prevents water damage to the building (such as the sheet rock). Code requires the emergency drain terminate in a location that would be noticed by the occupants. Remember, emergency drain pans are just that.... for an emergency. Continuous usage will cause the emergency pan to rust through leaving no protection from water damage.

Since the evaporator coil condenses water only when the air conditioning is running, you should be fine when using the heat.