Please help, Central AC leaking, condensation on coils

Old 12-01-07, 11:55 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please help, Central AC leaking, condensation on coils

Hello, i have come here for some help before and got help with my thermostat from lurking on other peoples problems.. but now it's time o get some help TAILORED JUST FOR ME

My central ac has been leaking for a while, but recently it has started to even more or maybe it just became mor enoticeable, and even worse it leaked under the floor into the storage closet attached to the garage [where the water heater is], and that room is now almost completely covered in mold.. luckily it is a pretty small room. I have an air cleaner and some damp rid going on in there, and I will tackle the mold problem as soon as I can get this AC leak all sorted out.

I have completely cleaned out the drain line and ensure that it is functioning properly. I believe my PTrap is good, as water flows out of the drainage line quite well. For my most recent tests, i just disconnected the drain line and had it drain into a bucket. I have replaced both of my filters [one in wall to AC, one directly under AC coils? For my most recent tests, I had removed both filters, to see where the water was coming from.. it got the filter under the coils wet.

Once I removed the filter, it was practically raining underneath the AC unit.. from condentation on the coils. Please, let me know what I can do to fix this. I tried shop vacuuming the coils, and that worked ok.. but not great... I

I'll try to attach some photos if that helps.. the model is a payne [haha, a big payne].

Any ideas? clean the coils inside? Clean something outside? Check something outside? Just let me know and I'll be on it.. also, if anyone has any pre ideas on tackling the mold, I'll be on to that soon too.. thanks so much for your help

jmr

Old 12-02-07, 05:22 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some pics would help. I not even sure what type of equipment you have. I assume the is an up flow air handler? Is it an electric furnace with the coil located at the bottom of the unit?

Before doing anything, check for debris and junk in the pan. Clean the pan if necessary. Then, pour about one gallon of water into the drain pan. Does the water flow into the drain pipe? If not, line may be clogged. Do you see any leakage? If you do, your problem could be a cracked or rusted through pan. It could also be a pan that no longer slopes toward the drain pipe. Investigate as needed.

If the above checks out ok, and leakage only happens during operation, I would start to suspect dirty coils. Look at the coil side that faces the filter. Is it dirty? Can you see the fins? A dirty coil can cause this problem.

On the outside chance, is the coil freezing up? A thawing coil will drip all over the place.

Post back with some more info and pics if possible. Someone here will give additional advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: