Moving AC Compressor

Old 12-10-07, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving AC Compressor

I've read the disclaimer about discussing charging refrigerants and handling that type of thing. i really don't know if this falls into that category. More than anything I need to know what will happen when this occurs. i need to move my condenser from behind my house to the side of my house since I building a deck out back and can't very well put the compressor under the deck. This requires moving the electrical supply. I've got that covered. But there's also the refrigerant supply lines coming to the compressor that will have to be re-run through the side of the house. Is there a shut off for the refrigerant piping so when they're detached all of the refrigerant doesn't bleed out? How am I to keep the refrigerant in the system and move the pipes? See? I don't want to touch the refrigerant. I don't want to look at it or smell it. Is this question O.K.?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-07, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Sure, question is just fine.
So is our answer that working on a/c sealed systems is not permitted unless you are properly certified.

The refrigerant must be reclaimed and reused when the condensing unit is reconnected.

There are some things that are not diy............this is one of them.

Old 12-11-07, 10:54 AM
Depending upon your unit, a tech may be able to pump the refrigerant into the condensing coil, saving most of the charge. Then pull a vacuum on the on the line set and evap coil and restart the unit.

Old 12-11-07, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the thought rather than the standard "call a pro" line I hear all the time. It's good to know what may or may not happen when I DO call a pro. I appreciate the info.