Help in Florida A/C

Old 12-23-07, 04:01 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help in Florida A/C

My wife woke me up at 3:00 a.m. Said AC/ not working. Coils inside home had a block of ice on them. Waited to thaw after turning AC off. Thermostat kicks but motor don't run for AC or Heater. All breakers are on. Please help, trying to get through Christmas. Money real tight. I bought home three years ago and home is only 5 years old, I don't know if I have a warranty on this unit when I bought home. It's a Trane model#PF1MNB042, Thanks For Any Advice.

Old 12-23-07, 11:29 AM
C
Check the condition of your filter and that one is actually there.
Next make sure your indoor blower in the furnace is working properly. If all that is good, you either have a dirty/blocked evaporator coil or the freon charge is low.

Old 12-23-07, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Sharkwatersfl
My wife woke me up at 3:00 a.m. Said AC/ not working. Coils inside home had a block of ice on them. Waited to thaw after turning AC off. Thermostat kicks but motor don't run for AC or Heater. All breakers are on. Please help, trying to get through Christmas. Money real tight. I bought home three years ago and home is only 5 years old, I don't know if I have a warranty on this unit when I bought home. It's a Trane model#PF1MNB042, Thanks For Any Advice.
From the text of your message, you say "motor don't run for AC or heater". I take it that you probably mean that the "indoor blower" is not running...is that so? It could be the thermostat...flip the FAN switch to ON and see if that starts it.

If the house is only 5 years old, the motor of this blower is too new to fail (though it could), but more often I have seen the "circuit boards" go bad. In other words, newer units come with an electronic module (or circuit board) that controls just about everything the indoor and outdoor units do.

IF you are knowledgeable about electricity and controls for HVAC, try jump starting the blower motor (disconnect the terminals from the board and hardwire with 120V). If this gets the motor running, the board (or the thermostat) are bad.

If you're "not" knowledgeable with electricity/controls, it's safer and you'll be better off calling for service. It'll cost you, but you'll get it done right and safely.

Old 12-23-07, 04:05 PM
S
Thanks for your help

I called my brother in-law in Arizona. It happened to be a failed sensor for drain. I bypassed the sensor by splicing the wires together without the switch. It proved my AC motor wasn't gone and blower motor fine. Looks like I still need someone to check out AC for Freon and leak, but I'm happy I'm not out of a AC Unit. Thanks for replying and I'll write back about the results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: