Can't Light Pilot Light On Furnace

Old 12-24-07, 07:56 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can't Light Pilot Light On Furnace

I'm having a problem with my furnance. It has a automatic pilot light. When I try to start it won't fire up. I called a friend and he said it sounds light you are not getting gas. I checked my hot water heater and the pilot light was out. I got it started again.

So we do have gas. I tried to start the furnace again and it won't fire up. I noticed a blinking red light on the unit.

I'm not sure what that means. Please help.

Old 12-25-07, 05:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If your furnace has an automatic pilot, you do not light it up, it has either a spark ignitor "or" a glow-coil (hot surface ignitor) which will do it automatically. The water heater is different, there you have a thermocouple and manual lit-up is needed.

The blinking light is typical of modern units. It's a self diagnose LED. The number (or sequence) of pulses means to tell what sort of failure is happening. Remove the service door and turn it around, it should have a chart that will tell you what has gone wrong.

See if you could gather the Mfr and model number of this unit from the nameplate somewhere there, that will be of great help.

If the pilot on the water heater was also OFF, maybe you have a serious "down-draft" problem there. Are these unit perhaps locked-up in a small room that does not have sufficient air available for proper combustion/ignition?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: