No compressor and fan...

Old 12-31-07, 07:55 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No compressor and fan...

Hello everyone, and Happy Almost-New-Years.

I'm having trouble with a Carrier 38ycc060300 and a Honeywell RTH7500. When I set my system to cool, the blower cycles on and off fine, but I do not get cold air. The compressor and fan do not come on.

I've checked and reset all my breakers, no dice. I've had someone stand next to the unit when powering on the A/C, and there is no response - no contactor 'click' or anything. The capacitor *looks* ok.

The system has been working fine since I replaced the thermostat a couple months ago, and stopped working on Friday. Nothing has changed that I'm aware of, other than some roof work that was finished a few days before it quit working. (Not thinking this is related, but wanted to mention it...)

Anyone have any advice? As sad as this is, it's December 31st and in the 70s outside, and 77 inside. I hate Florida in the winter!!!

Thanks!!

Ryan

Old 12-31-07, 08:34 AM
N
A little more info...

When cycling the t-stat, I do hear the relays click so I *assume* it is correctly calling for compressor and fan... I have it turned off right now to avoid damage to the compressor just in case it is running, but I haven't heard a peep out of it though.

Ryan

Old 12-31-07, 03:25 PM
S
Big N I am not familiar with the carrier product but some units will have a reset button that must be manually reset maybe on a Carrier I am not sure? (Rheem/Nordyne heat pumps typically do) so first I would be looking for a reset button on the outside of the housing Rheem/Rudd places theirs down low between the copper lines coming out of the outside unit and going into the house. If your particular unit does not have one then I would suggest that a voltage check be performed at the contactor both High voltage and Low voltage to narrow the problem down a bit. Note: this should only be done by someone that has electrical skills and familiarity with checking HOT circuits. A service call charge could be real cheap when compared to a ambulance ride and a emergency room visit and possibly a Hearse ride!!!!. Be careful out there people. Post back if you have some electrical knowledge or find someone that does that can help you, Have a Safe and Happy New Year.

Old 01-01-08, 12:34 PM
Neo:
Where is it that you hear the click? in the inside unit? or on the one outdoors?

My understanding (from reading your text) is that your house blower kicks-ON but nothing happens outside.

This could be something as simple as (1) a blown-fuse on the fuse box that should be attached to the wall by where the outside unit is. If not, maybe (2) a thermostat wire connecting to the compressor contactor has gotten loose.
And (3) how about the circuit breaker? you should have a 2-pole circuit breaker in your house panel...did it trip?

Pls check these 3 things and get back to us

I do like Saturn's advice, though . One can never be too safe.

Old 01-02-08, 11:10 AM
N
Originally Posted by Saturn
Big N I am not familiar with the carrier product but some units will have a reset button that must be manually reset maybe on a Carrier I am not sure?
No reset visible...
I would suggest that a voltage check be performed at the contactor both High voltage and Low voltage to narrow the problem down a bit. Note: this should only be done by someone that has electrical skills and familiarity with checking HOT circuits.
I have a couple of old Navy electrical guys here that I can talk to...
A service call charge could be real cheap when compared to a ambulance ride and a emergency room visit and possibly a Hearse ride!!!!. Be careful out there people. Post back if you have some electrical knowledge or find someone that does that can help you, Have a Safe and Happy New Year.
Good advice, and I will definitely follow it! HNY to you too!

Originally Posted by pflor
Neo:
Where is it that you hear the click? in the inside unit? or on the one outdoors?
It is the relays in the t-stat I'm hearing. I get no response at all from outdoors.
My understanding (from reading your text) is that your house blower kicks-ON but nothing happens outside.
Exactly!
This could be something as simple as (1) a blown-fuse on the fuse box that should be attached to the wall by where the outside unit is.
We checked that, and there was some evidence of arcing and the plastic was melted and warped. We replaced the whole thing with a comparable unit, no help.
If not, maybe (2) a thermostat wire connecting to the compressor contactor has gotten loose.
I eyeballed that, and it looks ok. Maybe we'll swap out the contactor...
And (3) how about the circuit breaker? you should have a 2-pole circuit breaker in your house panel...did it trip?
Breakers all look fine...

Pls check these 3 things and get back to us

I do like Saturn's advice, though . One can never be too safe.
Amen to that! Thanks for the advice!

Ryan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: