Trane XE1000: air handler fan not running

Old 01-04-08, 11:06 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XE1000: air handler fan not running

Today the air handler fan quit working. I can hear a small hum coming from the air handler when I turn the fan switch on at the thermostat. I have it set to heat and I can feel the freon lines get very hot so the compressor is working. I checked outside and the outside unit appears to be running fine. If this is a blower motor, I can probably put it in myself. How expensive are they and where can I get one?

UPDATE:
Ok, I took the cover off and if I spin the fan and then turn the thermostat on the unit runs normally. So would this then be just a capacitor needing replaced?

I did a search for the capacitor number but didn't find any online.

GE 97F9626
15uf 440ac
+06-06% 50/60Hz
Protected P965
P10000AFC 5363GC20
Dielektrol VI
D137452P27

What can I use as a replacement?

Last edited by diydiy; 01-04-08 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 01:40 PM
D
Ok, I found a similar capacitor:

15uf 480 VAC
+03 -03% 50/60Hz 90C
Protected P965
P10000AFC 7105GD01
Dielektrol VI

Can anyone tell me if this would work as a replacement?

Old 01-04-08, 04:06 PM
D
Originally Posted by diydiy
Ok, I found a similar capacitor:

15uf 480 VAC
+03 -03% 50/60Hz 90C
Protected P965
P10000AFC 7105GD01
Dielektrol VI

Can anyone tell me if this would work as a replacement?
I took the capacitor out and it measures infinity for ohms both directions. The needle on my analog meter doesn't even budge. So I would guess that means it's bad. Most capacitors usually start slowly charging off the meter.

More info... I notice that when I spin the fan and turn on the thermostat, that the fan is not running at full speed. When I spin the blower it spins very freely and will spin for several minutes so nothing appears wrong as far as lubrication. Could the motor capacitor cause the motor to run slower than normal?

Last edited by diydiy; 01-04-08 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 05:57 AM
Replace the capacitor.

Also, a fan won't spin by itself without the capacitor (or with a bad one) unless someone gives the fan blade an initial push, in which case the motor will spin in the direction of the push, whichever it might be. Do not run the fan for too long without the capacitor since it will use more amps and may overheat.

A digital meter able to test capacitors will be of much more help to you with your technical adventures

Indeed, a good capacitor when tested with an analog meter should show the needle moving towards zero [for an instant] and promptly start moving back to infinity. The catch is setting the Resistance Scale to the proper place...which I think is the highest resistance (but I'm not too sure any more since I only use digital testers), else the needle won't even budge even though the capacitor is GOOD

Last edited by pflor; 01-05-08 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-07-08, 06:01 PM
D
The capacitor came in today and after installing it my system's running normal again.

Old 01-08-08, 12:17 AM
that is great news!

Old 03-16-09, 05:27 AM
A
heat pump unit not working

Hi,

My heat pump unit stopped working a week ago. Before that, the evap fan kept trying to start ( after auto stop by the thermostat and room temperature is attained), bumping the initial voltage draw for a second and goes off. Kept doing that every five to 10seconds. Now Thermostat calls for but the unit itself does not respond. I checked the air handler, everything looks fine, fan motor is good.
There is a constant voltage going through the capacitors for both the air handler and the outside unit. When I hit the side of the air handler, fan begins to work in response to the thermostat but when it shuts off automatically, I have to bump the side again to get the fan running. There is no control voltage to the Outside unit to get the condenser fan and compressor running, however, when I push on the contactor, they both run for as long as the contactor is in manually. When I let go, they stop. I checked the control circuit board on the outside unit and realized that a tiny capacitor is burnt out. What are my options as this point? Replace both motor capacitors and the circuit board? I can change those parts out myself if those need to be replaced.

Model is trane split system TWR024C100A0

Any advice will be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: