Hotpoint MAC-130 dripping water

Old 01-24-08, 04:54 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

We have a near new Hotpoint MAC-130 that we bought new a couple of months ago. We just noticed that it is dripping quite a bit of water which is soaking the carpet around it.

The automatic drain pipe is connected and runs outside and seems to get water running from it, but the tank is filling anyway. I have drained it outside by unplugging the rubber drain bung at the bottom. Within half an hour or so it is dripping water again and the tank has a fair amount of water in it agin. I don't beleive the water is coming out due to the rubber drain leaking or surely the tank wouldn't fill so quickly...

We make sure we keep the washable filter clean.

The unit seems to cool OK and as it always has done...

It is of course under warranty, but I am very curious to find out if there is anything that I can do or check myself...

Old 01-25-08, 01:56 AM
Since the unit seems to cool well as it has always done (as per your reporting below), check for these 4 things:

- a drain tube that has become partially obstructed or is too small in diameter to drain fast enough (try using a new one for scale build-up is hard to check inside a hose)
- a drain hole (at the unit) that may be partially obstructed
- a drain tube that is too long
- not enough of a pitch downwards to help with the gravity flow out of the tank and down the drain hose.

Other than those, is it possible that this unit has been relocated and is now serving an area that is unusually humid?

Old 01-30-08, 12:48 AM
Y

Thanks for the information pflor.

The day that I noticed the problem was unusually humid, but I expected that it would have handled that OK without leaking loads of water. I also have a DeLonghi Pinguino and that had no problems at all at the same time - the water tank in it didn't appear to have a drop in it.

I am just testing the Hotpoint again now (In the bathroom !!) after a few days draining it fully and so far I have not seen any water leaking at all after an hour or so - I will have to keep an eye on it.

As it is still under warranty, I am not keen to start pulling it apart and possibly voiding the warranty.

Now my next problem is what to do about the ruined area of carpet from the water damage as it seems that the underlay has expanded and bubbled up in places - after it has dried out, the lumps haven't dissapeared as I hoped they would...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: