Selling copper from junk window air conditioners

Old 02-01-08, 10:38 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Selling copper from junk window air conditioners

Is this possible?

The only legal way I know of to dispose of an appliance containing freon is to pay a disposal center to take it from me.

This is clearly a case of the government providing "recyclers"
with an opportunity for "windfall profits", since I would be paying someone to accept something containing copper and aluminum.

Old 02-01-08, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Unless you have a buddy in the HVAC or appliance service business that has a recovery machine and an EPA license it would be illegal.

Old 02-01-08, 11:04 AM
I suppose if you wanted to recycle it bad enough, you could pay to have the freon reclaimed, then take the (empty) appliance or AC unit and recycle it. When I had my central AC unit replaced in 2005, they allowed me to keep my old condensing unit and evaporator coil after they recovered the R-22 and disconnected the lines.

Old 02-01-08, 11:31 AM
M
What Happened to my AC

Not recovering is illegal but the scrap yards don't ask where the refrigerant went when the coils are scrapped that is why many parts of the country are having problems with people taking condensors and copper off of homes and businesses even occupied this is what happens when the price of copper gets this high

Old 02-01-08, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Recycling does not always provide windfall profits.
They may charge you to take your a/c but they have expenses in recovering the refrigerant as well as the fact it takes a lot of labor to separate the aluminum fins and the copper tubing.

The refrigerant is also a liability because it generally can not be reused and must be collected for destruction.

Old 02-01-08, 04:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Slight change in topic. Whenever I have a trailer load of construction and demolition materials to take to our transfer station, I always make it a point to put something with copper or aluminum in the bottom. Normally I have to unload the trailer myself. I tell the inmates there is copper or aluminum in the bottom. Viola! Trailer unloaded quickly, and they recycle the metal for a common fund they have there.

Old 02-03-08, 11:50 AM
Wink

Out of the box here . I do know it too be true
Down in Florida. They put the old AC units ,window units and fridges all on a boat. Send them over to the Bahamas open them there.Then send all the copper and aluminum back to the scrap yards in Florida. No EPA there.

Old 02-21-08, 09:17 AM
M
Ozone? waz dat mon?

[QUOTE=Ed Imeduc;1308093]Out of the box here . I do know it too be true
Down in Florida. They put the old AC units ,window units and fridges all on a boat. Send them over to the Bahamas open them there.Then send all the copper and aluminum back to the scrap yards in Florida. No EPA there

QUOTE]
This foolish stupid practice is why science must develop a universally harmless refridgerant. I think we're getting there. I imagine one day there will be something like a "united atmospherics agency" run by the UN--so ANYONE can be busted.

Old 02-21-08, 11:29 AM
Wink

mmead Might want to read this.

http://toad.net/~jsmeenen/puron.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: