A/C Dilemma

Old 02-05-08, 10:45 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C Dilemma

I currently have a LENNOX 2 stage compressor along with the Harmony II system. The compressor is shot(long story). Every dealer I call has a different view on this. BTW, it is a 5ton unit. BTW, it is a 2800 sq. ft. house.

1) Keep existing handler, get new 1 stage 13 SEER unit and upgrade to the Harmony III. All Lennox. The tech said that will work.
2) Next dealer, Get rid of handler, condensor, Harmony II and get new Condensor(21 SEER) and new handler. Instead of "Zoning" via the Harmony system, he says an efficient system will be ok. All Lennox.
3) Next guy, dump Lennox, get a TRANE system, one of there highest effieceny units and that will compensate for the loss of the "ZONING"
Basically, I ask 1 question to 3 people, I get 4 answers and usually a question back.
My wife and I are at wits end. Any and all advice is appreciated.

THANKS!

Old 02-05-08, 06:43 PM
You should have added this to the your post of 02/02

Why not just change the compressor in your existing unit?

Are you going to be in the house long enought to recoup the cost and then savings of changing the whole thing?

Old 02-05-08, 06:51 PM
S
Originally Posted by Jarredsdad
Why not just change the compressor in your existing unit?

Are you going to be in the house long enought to recoup the cost and then savings of changing the whole thing?
Unable to get a replacement, at least so I am told. Also, it looks like the boards have some damage. The unit is 12 years old.

Old 02-05-08, 07:10 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
Efficiency will HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with balance and distribution. Anyone who says that higher SEER can compensate for removing a zoning system is not qualified to sell HVAC equipment.

Using a single stage unit with a zoned system will cause airflow problems; dumping some of supply air into another area when only one zone is calling for cooling will be necessary to just keep the static pressure in check. (Not a satisfactory solution)

The other thing is that the evap coil MUST be properly matched with the condenser to attain the rated efficiency and capacity. Mismatching is just asking for trouble.

Old 02-06-08, 04:53 AM
S
Originally Posted by Muggle
Efficiency will HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with balance and distribution. Anyone who says that higher SEER can compensate for removing a zoning system is not qualified to sell HVAC equipment.

Using a single stage unit with a zoned system will cause airflow problems; dumping some of supply air into another area when only one zone is calling for cooling will be necessary to just keep the static pressure in check. (Not a satisfactory solution)

The other thing is that the evap coil MUST be properly matched with the condenser to attain the rated efficiency and capacity. Mismatching is just asking for trouble.
Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the mismatching. The Lennox dealer who came here (he had the model # of my existing handler) said that the AC-13 unit will work with my handler. As far as the zoning goes, he said that using the HARMONY III system will eliminate the coil freezing. Thanks.

Old 02-06-08, 02:42 PM
Got news for you sandman

We work on some Lennox unit that are in the 40 - 45 year old range and we can get parts.

What is the model number, I could look them up while not even online.

Old 02-06-08, 05:24 PM
S
We work on some Lennox unit that are in the 40 - 45 year old range and we can get parts.

What is the model number, I could look them up while not even online.
Model # HS21-651-1P
Let me know if you need the Serial number.

The previos homeowner had some company look at it. They were CLUELESS(we at his mercy of whom he hired). Anyway, he might of done more damage then originally done by the mouse. Anyway, I appreciate any and all advice.

THANKS!

Old 02-06-08, 07:00 PM
Found HS21-650

Compressor catalog #93G63, 9 Available at North American Parts Center.

You said something about a board.

2 stage speed control module catalog #11K83, 307 available in North America.

Didn't get pricing and don't think ethical to post that info in public forums.

Old 02-06-08, 11:38 PM
S
Found HS21-650

Compressor catalog #93G63, 9 Available at North American Parts Center.

You said something about a board.

2 stage speed control module catalog #11K83, 307 available in North America.

Didn't get pricing and don't think ethical to post that info in public forums.
Thanks much for the info., I appreciate it. I guess the big question is, to I risk having someone try and fix it just to lead into another problem. This Friday, I have another company looking at it. Thanks again.

Old 02-07-08, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

like said yes you can get parts for old AC. But in the long run that old get a new unit. Also you dont say how the zone is layed out. For a up down or how. We find that for a home it is best to put two units in over a one unit and a zone set up . Have had homes the samein size and layout. One with a zone set up the other with two unts. Always the home with two units .Their power bill has been way way less than the home with one unit and a zone control.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: