Trane XE1000 outside fan not working

Old 02-10-08, 08:46 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XE1000 outside fan not working

I have a 10 year old trane unit and I heard a humming noise outside this morning . The compressor fan was trying to spin but was binding up. When I turned the unit off, and opened the unit to check the fan motor it turned freely. When it is powered back up, the fan is binding and will not turn.

Any ideas ?

Old 02-10-08, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Try with the unit calling to run . Give the fan a push to start.
If it takes off and runs get a new capacitor for it . If not and it does get 220V to it . Id say time for a new motor. make sure you get the same Hp and RPM also that it turns the same way CW or CCW.

Old 02-10-08, 02:38 PM
J
When I power it up, all the motor does it try to spin. It moves about 1/4 inch then locks down. I can not get the blades to turn even when I push them. I checked the voltage going to the motor and get a reading of "290". Why is the reading so high?

When all power is off, the blades on the motor turn freely.

Old 02-11-08, 09:43 AM
M
AC Repair Condensor Fan Motor

When a motor does that it has too much end play meaning one of the bearings has worn on the inside allowing the rotor to move too close to the front plate you will need to replace when you get a new one make sure to take the old one off and get a replacement that has the same characteristics all the info is listed on the data plate and any good supply house should be able to match you up.
If they sell you a universal one the wiring diagrams will walk you through the retrofit they will give you options for a three wire or four wire aplication and you can choose rotation and make sure to get a new capacitor

Old 02-12-08, 03:14 PM
J
Thanks,

Just went and purchased new motor and capacitor. Put it all back together for $100.00.

"Wife happy till next time"

thanks

Old 02-12-08, 04:51 PM
M
AC Repair Success

You rock and momma's happy that's great

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: