A/C unit stays on ??? Help Me Please, take a look:

Old 03-20-08, 11:44 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question A/C unit stays on ??? Help Me Please, take a look:

I instaled an electric thermostat and everything worked fine for over a year until a week ago that the system stay on and I freeze myself

I think that all the wires are fine since it worked fine for over a year, so its there any kind of relay or something that might went bad ??? I can hear the click from the thermostat trying to turn the A/C off but nothing... Please help !!! I'm broke now and I can't aford to call a tech for this....

Thanks guys !!!!

Old 03-20-08, 05:11 PM
Is this stat tied to a gas heat, and A/C only, or Heat Pump system?

Is/was the stat in heat mode or cool mode?

If it was in cool mode, switch to OFF, and see what happens. if the system still runs, then I would go to the out door unit and see if the contacter is stuck.

Old 03-20-08, 07:56 PM
M
Originally Posted by Jay11J
Is this stat tied to a gas heat, and A/C only, or Heat Pump system?

Is/was the stat in heat mode or cool mode?

If it was in cool mode, switch to OFF, and see what happens. if the system still runs, then I would go to the out door unit and see if the contacter is stuck.
Is the same problem in both modes, even if you switch to off... Where is the contacter ??? and how the realease it ???

Old 03-20-08, 08:10 PM
It's in the outdoor unit, what is the make of the unit?

Be sure to turn off the power before you go reaching into the unit outside.. For now, just shut off the power before you floor the compressor.

Old 03-20-08, 10:10 PM
M
Thanks for your help !!! its an inside unit for my apartment... I don't know brand or model but take a look and tell me what do I need to do ???

Old 03-21-08, 06:06 AM
M
Okie, lets verify a few things first. When you say it never shufts off... Let's say that you have the thermostat set to the OFF position and the fan is set to the AUTO position. It's still running right? Go outside and look at your outdoor unit and verify if it is on or off.

Just trying to make sure that it's not just the blower in the house stuck on and the outside unit is coming on and off when it's supposed to or if both are stuck on.

If BOTH are stuck on when you have the thermostat turned off then try this: turn off the breaker/power to the indoor unit and outside unit, make sure they cut off. Then take the cover off the thermostat and unscrew the terminals for G and for Y and put a piece of tape over each wire so they don't touch anything.

Turn everything back on. If everything stays off then it's probably the thermostat. If both continues to run then there is probably a short in the wiring or the like.

(did I miss anything guys?)
Michael

p.s. If both inside and outside units aren't running at the same time when the thing is turned off at the t-stat let us know, probably something different!

Old 03-22-08, 09:52 AM
M
I have no acces to the unit ouside (on the Roof of the building) But I'll guess that is on too, cuz the air is Cooll like if everything was working... I already disconect the thermostat but the unit stays on ...

I don't know how to see if something is stuck, could it be some kind of relay or something that I can just change ??? now i've been using the unit by using the master switch but its annoying ...

Anybody have any clue ????

Old 03-22-08, 10:12 AM
do you own or rent the place? If you rent, call the landlord.

If you own, can you get on the roof?

Something is stuck inside the unit outside, you'll need to find something like this.

Old 03-22-08, 05:17 PM
M
Something else funky is going on too or else the blower would shut off when the temp was reached even if the contactor was welded shut outside...hmm..

Old 03-22-08, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure there's central air conditioning here. The first photo appears to show the liquid line still with its factory installed rubber plug. It's not a full pic so it could be deceiving, but the rubber plug is clearly visible for sure

Old 03-22-08, 09:22 PM
M
I wonder if those could be copper water drains? Don't see those very often anymore... that is kind of deceiving though with the vaacum rubber plug in the thing like you'd see in a compressor. :/

If you tested the unit with the thermostat wires disconnected from the thermostat (and taped off) and the thing was still running the blower and cooling then there must be a short. You need to call someone unless there is some data missing here.

Old 03-22-08, 09:33 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Have you tried the 24V wire there in the blower unit?? Pull the G wire from the tstat apart to blower relay.What happens??? Then the Y going to the outside unit apart. What happens??? . Then the R going to the tstat . What happen????

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: