Rusty Pan

Old 03-21-08, 10:05 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rusty Pan

As user name and thread title state , have a problem I ve noticed in the attic part of the a/c unit . First noticed a bulit up of rust in lower catch pan , and after removing side pannel I can see where the rust is comming from .

The interior (inside metal box) drain , isnt working , and the water is "spilling" over the interior pan , leaking out the box , and into the lower catch pan . That water then exits home via a secondary pvc line .

I am guesing that the primary drain line is clogged ?

Water leaking above blue plug also , as water level rises above top lip of interior catch pan .

Do both pvc drain lines exit the home at the same place ?

Old 03-21-08, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

First I see the blower there by the coil. So have to ask is there a P trap in that drain line first????????? You have to have one . Then check and see that the drain line is clear. With that cover off pour water in it and see if it will drain . Next you sure that the charge is ok and the coil didnt ice up??? Post back what you find out. You can blow or suck on that drain line with a shop Vac.

Old 03-21-08, 11:20 AM
R
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
First I see the blower there by the coil. So have to ask is there a P trap in that drain line first????????? You have to have one . Then check and see that the drain line is clear. With that cover off pour water in it and see if it will drain . Next you sure that the charge is ok and the coil didnt ice up??? Post back what you find out. You can blow or suck on that drain line with a shop Vac.
yes , there is a p trap , when I blew in the open end of the p trap (not shown in this following photo , but in previous photo I think ) there was no resistance/pressure against moving air (at least on the back side of the p trap) would it be fair to guess there is a blockage in the p trap its self ???

Also , do both drain lines (internal pan and lower big pan ) do they both exit the home from same spot in soffit downspout pvc ?

Last edited by rustypanman; 03-21-08 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-21-08, 06:38 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Thats one big Trap! I would rework it so it's not so deep and add a clean out wile id be there.

Old 03-21-08, 10:00 PM
Wink

Dont know where you are . But most codes call for that bottom pan under the units drain. To run outside in the overhang of the home. Over a door , window or a sidewalk. This is so if there is water from it you will see it . Before its in your ceiling. Is the unit level??? that inside pan level?????

Old 03-23-08, 09:55 AM
R
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Dont know where you are . But most codes call for that bottom pan under the units drain. To run outside in the overhang of the home. Over a door , window or a sidewalk. This is so if there is water from it you will see it . Before its in your ceiling. Is the unit level??? that inside pan level?????
Update ~

No , the untire unit is out of level about an inch in 24" , guessing trying to point the water twoards the drain line ... but the inner pan has about a 1" 'legs" built in to give it a lean twoards the drain allready which is why i see the water spilling out of that front corner of inner pan (pictured) . I ll level things out as needed , while maintaining enough slope for the water to drain as needed .

Also , as to my question about "do both drain lines leave the home in the same place ?" ... No , they dont , one leaves where I thought it did from the soffit pvc , and after digging through nasty blown insulation , the drain line from the inner pan , looks to be piped into the bathroom plumbing drain system .

..... What I plan to do now is , cut the drain line leaving the inner water pan , creating a p-trap just as its leaving the metal housing of the ac box , then re route that drain line into the drain thats connected to the larger "under catch pan" , doing away with the line thats incoorperated into the bathrooms plumbing drain (might cap if necessary?)

Old 03-23-08, 05:09 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
No! keep both drain lines! The secondary is the back up if the main backs up.

Old 03-24-08, 08:20 AM
R
Originally Posted by airman.1994
No! keep both drain lines! The secondary is the back up if the main backs up.

ok , will keep both

Old 03-24-08, 12:01 PM
Wink

Better check with code there. No way should you run a drain line from a AC unit to a sewer line and fix or attach it to it. The drain line has to go into a open trap like a wash machine does. This is so methane gas dont get into the home and kill you. Yes the bottom overflow pan drain has to go to the outside over hang of the home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: