Thermostat Malfunction - Danger ?

Old 03-25-08, 08:01 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat Malfunction - Danger ?

We have a Rite-Temp model 8010 thermostat for our Heating/Air-Conditioning System. This past weekend we went out of town and left the system on Auto-Heat set at 68 degrees.

When we returned yesterday afternoon, we found the forced air system running and the temperature in the house about 120 degrees. If we had any pets, they surely would have been dead. Even worse, if this had been an elderly person's home and they were not able to turn the system off it very likely could have resulted in death. We can get a new thermostat so the system will work properly, but we are concerned that this is a serious design flaw that might result in a disaster.

I emailed the manufacturer, but I'd like to know if this is a normal problem and shouldn't the FAU shut-off automatically at some point if the temperature gets too high?

Old 03-26-08, 03:22 PM
Have you already replaced the t-stat? Is the system working fine now?

I've heard this happing here and there, not sure what brand, but you are not the only one.

Old 03-26-08, 07:35 PM
M
Heating Help

I am not sure what an FAU is but if the temp in your house was truly 120 degrees then there should have been a high limit tripping as that is close to the temp where that safety would activate to eliminate the thermostat as the culprit all you need to do is either pull the stat off the base or take off the W or R wires if the furnace doesn't run then you probably have a tstat problem

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: