AC capacitor replacement

Old 04-16-08, 11:43 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face AC capacitor replacement

Can someone provide step-by-step instructions for replacing a capacitor in an older Lennox central air unit? I know that I need to pull the breaker on the back of the unit to disconnect the power, but beyond that I would like the steps to discharge the old capacitor, etc.

Thanks
SCL

Old 04-17-08, 02:59 PM
With the shaft of a screw-driver touch both terminals of the capacitor...that discharges it.

unhook the wires connected to the terminals (make a note of which wires are connected to which terminals). loosen the strap holding it in place. Remove. Put in place the new one. Connect wires to terminals.

To be on the safe side, take a pic of the old capacitor before disconnecting anything, and another one with the new one in place and post.

Old 04-24-08, 11:26 AM
D
Yeah I'm gonna replace a new capacitor for my home AC as well. So we just need to pull the connector from the wall and it's safe to pull out the capacitor wires right?.

Thanks

Old 04-24-08, 12:22 PM
Unplug the cord, and just for safety, with the shaft of a screwdriver put a jump across the terminals of the capacitor to discharge it prior to pulling the wires off.

Old 04-25-08, 11:21 AM
D
I've just replaced a new capacitor but the fan's still not running. Does it matter if we connect the wire to one of 4-terminals? It has 4-terminals for the Fan, Herm, and the C.

Thanks for the helps

Old 04-25-08, 07:10 PM
take a close-up picture and post

Old 04-25-08, 10:42 PM
D
I'll post the pix tomorrow but I have one quick question that I've heard about the breaker but know no where it can be found :-(

Old 04-26-08, 07:34 AM
I will assume that the capacitor that you're talking about is for the condensing unit. If so, this is the unit located outside of your home. Look at the condensing unit, look for the power cable comig off of it, it should go to a metal box (the fuse box). This box has a door, lift it (or swing it) open, and pull the fuse. You've got to be careful since you're dealing with 240V there.

Once again, pictures will help point you in the right direction.

Old 04-26-08, 11:50 AM
D
I have to reposition the wires and it's working now. Appreciated it pflor

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: