AC system short on then off

Old 04-24-08, 11:56 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC system short on then off

Hello,

I doubt I had this problem the first year or two with the system - Goodman CKL36-1D outside with matched unit for inside, just under 1,200 sq. ft. house.

This is not a low freon thing, although it has not been checked by gauges. I have no frost showing nor poor cold output. The Tstat is set and unit comes on when called for.

If thermostat had been set to Off or Heat, then switched to AC - it starts the usual way, outside unit kicks on then inside units kicks on. It runs for - oh, 3 to 5 minutes then shuts off. It stays that way - short runs - until you do "the thing".

"The thing" - as the family calls it - is to switch Tstat to Off, go to cut off switch by inside air handler unit and switch it to Off. Then go to outside unit, pull the fuse and place on top of fuse box. Leave alone for 2 to 5 minutes. (don't know where we got that time from but you must wait, can't just pull fuse then put right back in) Then reverse everything - outside put fuse back in, inside air handler unit switch to On, Tstat switched to AC - wait. AC system will turn on and stay on like it should. Today it did do one short run, stop, then came back on and stay on.

I would like to stop this problem. Is there any way to correct it without calling tech? I did about 6 months as AC tech's assistant. I learned enough to know when I'm over my head! hahaha I have no AC or Elect. equipment to test/check anything. I do seem to remember opening outside unit control section with concern about a sticky solenoid maybe? Seems I can remember being a bit upset during last summer at the on/off antics of the unit and hitting on it around the control section.

Any thoughts there? - ummm about correct the on/off problem with the unit. Not about me hitting the unit on a hot day! **Note, no AC items nor hands, fingers or toes were damaged in the afore mentioned event!**

Thanks for your time,
bamakodaker

Old 04-24-08, 12:34 PM
Why not try this first:
Call for cooling from the t-stat and allow the unit to run its usual five minutes or so, and once it goes OFF, do NOT do "the thing", just leave it alone, and tell me if it will kick back ON by itself after a 10 minute (or so) period of being OFF.

In other words, if the unit gets back into its normal operating mode without having to do "the thing", chances are that you have here a compressor that is overheating.

Compressors have internal switches, called "thermal overloads" that will (internally) cut-off the power supply to the motor windings if they were to get too hot. These thermal overloads do reset by themselves after a period of about 10 minutes or so.

If the above does not help, I could use the M/N of the indoor unit. The thermostat talks to board of the indoor unit and the board in turn talks to the outdoor unit. This problem you are reporting could very well be caused by a defective board. But more on that after you post the information hereby requested.

Old 02-03-09, 04:39 PM
B
on - off

Yes, the unit will cut back on within 10 minutes - run a short period, then cut off. Again, it will start back up within 10 minutes - for a short time then - repeat, repeat . . . A/C will not run long enough to cool house any though.

If I do "that thing" the unit will then cycle on and off in a normal temperature correct way.

I sure would like to have this corrected. Rather upsetting to have thoughtless teenager flip the wrong switch and you get home to a really hot house!

Thoughts appreciated!
bamakodaker

Old 02-04-09, 05:08 PM
H
you have a 3 ton unit for a house that only needs a 1 1/2 - 2 ton a/c unit. problem right there. what size furnace do you have ?

Old 02-12-09, 04:33 PM
B
not over-sized

I do not believe this to be an oversized unit. As I said earlier, after I do "the thing" the unit will run normally, cycles like it should.

bamakodaker

Old 02-21-09, 05:53 AM
If I remember correctly, these condensing units have a 1 pole contactor for 208/230v. The compressor could have a high resistance short on the run winding, through the unswitched leg (L2) causing the compressor to stay hot and cycle off by the protector.
When you remove the power it allows the comp. to cool somewhat. Then the returning suction gas will keep it cool enough to stay running.
How long is the line set?
Also, it could be a bad component on the printed circuit board (expensive).
Tom Beer 4U2

Old 02-23-09, 06:48 PM
C
OK we have all jumped on the compressor.... Does the whole system shut off or just the poor old compressor????? kinda need to know what shuts off.. could be something else.....

Old 02-25-09, 10:58 AM
B
"How long is the line set?" - - I'm not sure what you mean there. Do note that the on and off are not long. When you first turn on the A/C (after it was switched off the wrong way) it will soon come on, not run long, then cut off. I'm aware these units do generate a good bit of heat but in my humble opinion it is NOT shutting off due to heat. As I've said before - whether you've just started the A/C back up, caught it and did the "weird switch thing" early on or it has been doing the short recycling for a while and then you do the "thing" - the A/C will then begin running normally and cycling as it should.
How long has the line set - unused? Does not matter in doing the "thing" and having the unit cycle normal. How long from inside to outside units? - up, over and down - less then 25 feet for sure, maybe less than 20.
I appreciate your time and thoughts.
bamakodaker

Old 02-25-09, 06:36 PM
C
Originally Posted by cyberdead
OK we have all jumped on the compressor.... Does the whole system shut off or just the poor old compressor????? kinda need to know what shuts off.. could be something else.....
again I ask.... :-(

Does the whole system shot off or just the compressor?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: