freon????????????

Old 04-30-08, 10:02 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
freon????????????

can a a/c unit use just any kind of freon or there specific kind that need it

i wonder if auto freon is the same as the home freon

i saw at auto zone they sell the whole kit for refilling freon i wonder can i use that for my home

Old 04-30-08, 10:29 AM
Don't Ask ??

I don't think you'll get many answers. Check out this link:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=315401

Originally Posted by cloudy602

i saw at auto zone they sell the whole kit for refilling freon i wonder can i use that for my home

Old 04-30-08, 01:56 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
No You can not! Old Auto is R-12, New Auto is 134a
Old home is R22

Old 06-01-08, 08:41 AM
C
Handyman

Originally Posted by cloudy602

No...Auto freon is different from home ac freon

Old 06-01-08, 09:17 AM
The data plate on the unit tells what refrigerant is used in the unit.

As the link E the P posted states, we can't tell you how to add, remove charge in the system.

Old 06-02-08, 12:19 PM
S
The training and EPA certification needed for proper refrigerant handling can be earned at your local community college. You will also pick up the knowledge needed to properly diagnose and repair your own system if you really work at it. I highly recommend that course of action to anyone interested in HVAC repairs. At the least you will become knowledgeable with your own system and can make better buying and repair choices as the need arises. This is a great site with very helpful/knowledgeable and well meaning people but no matter how hard they try they are not there to see what is happening and give you anything but farsighted advice as they completely rely only upon what you tell them. Pictures do help though lol. In my opinion you need to step away from the sealed system untill you have the proper training and certs in place. I once worked with a guy who was telling me right before lunch that he was going to repair his machine hisself I told him to call maintenance but of course he did not. He lost 3 fingers on his right hand that day not sure if he learned anything that day but I SURE DID. be careful out there guys life is to short to take unneccasary risks.

Old 06-02-08, 04:55 PM
I used to live in a nieghborhood where there were 3 HVAC Techs including me. One was a dead head and (long story) was trying to get into the HVAC shop at the hospital he worked at.

He had EPA Cert and all. He decided he could convert his R 12 refrigerator to R 22. And, kept telling the HVAC head (at the hospital) of his progress.

No concern about compressor, cap tube, or anything else.

The other tech and I (he lived closer and we are still friends seperated by 100 miles) just said "That's great, have a good time with that".

He never did get into the HVAC department. Come to think of it, I think he got fired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: