1.5 ton or 2.5 ton???Hmmm??

Old 05-07-08, 01:34 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1.5 ton or 2.5 ton???Hmmm??

OK.......had a long time area independent heat-a/c guy come give me a quote on installing central AC to cool only the upstairs of my colonial.....he was also going to put a drop above the stairwell so it would help cool downstairs. His guestimate says a 2.5 ton system. I then had a large pro-shop come out and they did a heat/loss calculation but he was NOT going to put a drop in above the stairwell...he says I only need a 1.5 ton. I live in CT where real summer temps from 80 t0 98 degrees run from June to September best worst case. Who is right? Is cost between a 1.5 and 2.5 ton that much different?

Old 05-07-08, 03:22 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You said it all! The old time guy was going to guess. The company took the time to find out what you needed!

Old 05-08-08, 05:16 AM
P
Here's the issue!!!

The long time reputable guy who I have several "excellant" recommendations on has quoted me $7000 for a Heil 14 seer system. The professional has quoted a TRANE 15 seer unit at $11,500!!! Big big big difference. I asked the long time guy if he would consider doing only 1.5ton based on the pro's analysis and he said NO based on the fact he is trying to drop cool the downstairs with a register where the pro was not. He said the 1.5 ton on nasty days would probably continuosly run due to cooling loose in the hot attic Wha da ya think???

Old 05-08-08, 08:46 AM
A properly sized unit will run continuously on hot days. If it does not the system is to large. If they are running duct and electrical that 7000 sounds cheap. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. The trane is a higher seer so that is some of the cost.

Old 05-08-08, 10:42 AM
P
Yep..........got written quotes

Quotes from both have all the details...$7000 includes ducts and electrical.........I did the exact same walkthru of my house, attic and electrical with both gentlemen......we even came up with the same local for the outdoor unit!!!

Old 05-08-08, 12:30 PM
Are they both using Metal Duct?

Old 05-09-08, 05:18 PM
H
a properly sized system will NOT run all day!! expect it to run 20 -25 min at a time. an over sized unit wont run long enough to de humidify, it will be cold, but it will be clamy.

Old 05-09-08, 06:44 PM
A system Will run all day if it is sized right and it is 98 outside! 20 min no more like 8 hours!

Old 05-14-08, 07:29 AM
T
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Originally Posted by picklesnouts
OK.......had a long time area independent heat-a/c guy come give me a quote on installing central AC to cool only the upstairs of my colonial.....he was also going to put a drop above the stairwell so it would help cool downstairs. His guestimate says a 2.5 ton system. I then had a large pro-shop come out and they did a heat/loss calculation but he was NOT going to put a drop in above the stairwell...he says I only need a 1.5 ton. I live in CT where real summer temps from 80 t0 98 degrees run from June to September best worst case. Who is right? Is cost between a 1.5 and 2.5 ton that much different?

What size area is the second floor? You never need a supply line at the top of the steps cold air drops from the rooms on the second floor with out any help! never choose a heil in any case. The prices you are getting seem very high to me.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-14-08 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Email address not allowed. No soliciting please.
Old 05-14-08, 07:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Sizing

Airman is absolutely right. A properly sized unit will run continously on a day which matches the design conditions. A system which runs only 20-25 minutes/hour is oversized.

Old 05-15-08, 10:10 AM
H
a/c

Originally Posted by picklesnouts
pretty expensive job just for an add-on airconditioner. should only run around $5000-$5500. if an a/c runs all day during 90 degree weather ,it is sized right. of course it depends on stat setting and how many returns you have also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: