Cost & Sizing of new Trane AC system?

Old 05-25-08, 09:16 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cost & Sizing of new Trane AC system?

Getting bids for replacement of my 13 year old central AC - not replacing the existing oil furnace, which had it's heat exchanger replaced (under warranty!) 2 years ago.

Trane XL15i 5 ton system, # 4TTX5060*1000*
New interior coil, # HE36460A200A
Copper insultaed lineset
new outdoor pad
Clean Effects 26.0 Air cleaner Model TFD260ALAH000A

Estimate: $7213.00

Existing system is in a cement crawl space, but clean and well-lit & maintained.

House is approx 3,000 sq ft, 2 zoned - and manual dampers are used to block all of the upstairs except the master bedroom, as other bedrooms are curently unoccupied. The original syustem was 5 tons.

Questions: Does the cost seem right? A competing Bryant estimate suggested a 4 ton system. Both contractors insisted that they did a load estimate. Is there a signnificant cost decrease in going to the four ton unit? What is the extra cost for the Clean effects filter? We just use a fiberglass filter now, but the house is dusty.

Thoughts?

Old 05-25-08, 07:57 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
My thought is the clean effects will be 1000 to 1800. Id get a media filter about 300 to 500. Its a better filter in my mind. I would look at getting two system! Zone system have lots of problems. As far a sizing goes do the load yourself.

Old 05-26-08, 04:10 AM
Oil furnaces have a large heat exchanger. On some brands & models the heat exchanger comes close to the top of the furnace. An evaporator coil mounted too close to the top of such a furnace will restrict airflow.

On those upflow furnaces with the blower mounted at the bottom to the side, the evaporator coil has to be mounted at a required height above the top of the furnace or the result could be a severe airflow restriction.

The larger the AC system the higher the coil must be mounted or the restriction will compromise the tonnage capacity. A 4-ton AC may deliver only 2.5 to 3-ton of cooling. Additionally, the service life of the compressor will be compromised!

I know from experience:
http://www.udarrell.com/oil_furnace_heating.html
-HVAC RETIRED

Old 05-26-08, 08:47 AM
O
That price is pretty heavy if all they are doing is replacing the coil, condenser, and the lineset. Materials are probably around $3K -- depending on how hard of an install... we would need to know more info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: