My AC wont cool house and runs all day

Old 06-01-08, 05:42 PM
V
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My AC wont cool house and runs all day

I noticed a few days ago the ac isn't cooling the house all day. I set it at 73 and it runs all day and never drops below 78 or so. Filters are clean and it runs all day. The until looks like it's working properly but I know nothing about AC's! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Old 06-01-08, 05:50 PM
Check The "delta T".

20 Degree's difference between nearest supply vent to the AHU/Furnace and return vent (Where filter grill is located). This difference should be 20 degree's with a tolernace of +2 degree's or -3 degree's. If it is out of this tolerance, call a tech - it would be either a refrigerant problem ( Less than 17 Degree's difference)= (leak) or Airflow Problem, (more than 22 degree's difference). Check your filter before calling if its 22 degree's or higher...

Last edited by The Real Deal; 06-01-08 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-02-08, 08:57 PM
C
Originally Posted by The Real Deal View Post
20 Degree's difference between nearest supply vent to the AHU/Furnace and return vent (Where filter grill is located). This difference should be 20 degree's with a tolernace of +2 degree's or -3 degree's. If it is out of this tolerance, call a tech - it would be either a refrigerant problem ( Less than 17 Degree's difference)= (leak) or Airflow Problem, (more than 22 degree's difference). Check your filter before calling if its 22 degree's or higher...
I'm having the same problem as valfl82. Your post sounds like something I need to try but need to better understand what you mean first. To begin, can you "dumb it down" a little for an inexperienced person on this? Meaning, "supply vent" and "return vent," and what do I need to test the temperature? I have a temp gauge that measures the temp outside, will this work? Sorry for the ignorance, but need help with this......and it's getting hot in Memphis!

thanks,
caleb

Old 06-03-08, 07:16 PM
Can dumb down.

The return of your A/C is where your filter goes. Return is air returning from the conditioned space the the A/C.

The supply vents are where the air from the A/C blows into the structure.

A/C is Air Conditioner it takes air in from the home (return) conditions it to lower temp and humidity and sent it back to the home through supply vent (to the home).

Your outdoor thermometer will work fine. With the A/C running put it at the return air filter for about 5 minutes and write down the temp. Then get it close to a supply vent and again wiat 5 minutes and write down the temp.

Simple enough?

While your doing all this, go outside and look at the unit. In what condition are the two pipes at the A/C? is the larger on cool and sweating a bit, or is it warm and dry? How about the smaller pipe? What's up with it?

Hey, if you can, strap your thermometer on the pipes, insulate it and give us the temps. We'd love to know the pressure in the pipe, but we can't ask that because it's against policy and illegal if your not certified plus you could get hurt.

We will help you and give you honest advice, and we don't get paid (ain't that nice). BUT you have to be our eyes, ears, and fingers.

The more info you can provide the better we can figure out what's up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: