Don't be scared of too much info.

Old 06-06-08, 05:16 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't be scared of too much info.

I have seen some talk here about the posting of too much AC info. I think this is nonsense. Most if not all laws have exemptions for the home owner. For instance you can replace your own toilet or wire in another plug. Top up your AC.This does not mean you are not supposed to be responsible.Professionals of course don't want people to know this.
Work on your home AC but remember to be responsible. I do.

Old 06-06-08, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, thats all well and good. But working with refrigerants on a home system is under EPA/Government rules. Heck, most if not all suppliers that I know of want to see a license before they sell you anything having to do with the refrigerant side. Way too may people come in here and want to install their own ac unit, replace condensers, etc. Electrical side is a different issue and there have been 30-40 post threads covering those issues. As long as its that side, people can do all they want. I can't afford the refrigerant equipment necessary to work on a home system, can't believe anyone else would want to spend that much either.
Sometimes its find a good tech and stick with 'em.

JMHO

Old 06-06-08, 07:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you can afford the 100,000 dollar fine for not being EPA certified Id say go for it.

Old 06-06-08, 07:51 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Most building (and electrical, mechanical, plumbing, refrigeration etc.) codes are enacted into law and enforced on a local, county or state level. The laws concerning the use of refrigerants is Federal Law and is enforced across the country. The only exception that I am aware of when it comes to non-certificated personnel being allowed to work with refrigerants is with R-134a in automobile air conditioners. There are NO exceptions for homeowners working on their own home equipment.

Now whether or not you agree with the reasoning behind the laws (ozone layer depletion) is quite irrelevant. If you want to flaunt the law there is nothing that I or anyone else on this board can do. What we will do is refrain from offering advice that would lead you to violating the law.

Old 06-07-08, 05:59 AM
R
As I said somewhere in the fine print of the law there is an exemption for home owners. Regardless if its federal or state.
Auto AC is more complicated than home AC. Especially when you have the automatic climate and dual zone controls to deal with.

Old 06-07-08, 07:15 AM
Refrigerants

To read this post brings a smile...

"As I said somewhere in the fine print of the law there is an exemption for home owners. Regardless if its federal or state.
Auto AC is more complicated than home AC. Especially when you have the automatic climate and dual zone controls to deal with"

I wonder if multibillion dollar companies like "Autozone" and "O'reillys" not to mention all Airconditioning suppliers that I have walked into since 1994 have it all wrong for the last 14 years. They have missed the masses of people who have wanted to purchase R22 ( A common home owner (Condenser) refrigerant ) and R12 ( another Refrigerant used for lower temp situations - coolers freezers, old cars - not made anymore...lol ).

These companies have missed making literally billions of dollars because they have overlooked the "Fineprint" you have mentioned written ever so small into the EPA rules of refrigerant use. A loophole if you will... Maybe they should Sue their pack of Lawyers they hired to look after their liabilities and assets, fire them today!!!... and hire you. My friend...today you have might just changed the world by bringing to light, the way it really is concerning refrigerants. I know you have opened my eyes...Just think of the poor son of a B****... that had to copy all those big white signs so proudly displayed at every refrigerant suppliers counter stating that one must present their EPA certification and drivers licsense to purchase refrigerants. What a waste of time and tree's!!!

Maybe Raleigh north Carolina has suseaded ( Or should ) from the united states and their silly EPA laws which all along, said (According to you) a common homeowner could purchase refrigerants for their personnal use without the EPAs stringent certification. Maybe you are right! You can work on your own home A/C when it comes to refrigerants in North Carolina... Now all you got to do is convince every other human on this earth - buy a processing plant to manufacture R22 ($150 billion) and wayla!!! you will have it your way, to fill your leaky a/c ( $200.00) finally! Im behind ya all the way!

Im kinda pissed now that I have spent all that time and money for those licsense's and schools that lied to me... I think I will sue too...." You may think im a dreamer... But Im not the only one"...Obviously!!!...lol

Finally... Im glad I havent ran up against one of those "High Tech" Car airconditioners lately - I think ill just stick with the 19I, multi dual stage compressor, micro processing, machinefed, top space and timing, muilti zone, novar energy management simpleton 50 tons ive been screwing up for 31 years...

Just a thought that made me smile...Hey moderator! Is there a section on this website for DIY Comedy? Feel free to move this thread to the comedy section should there be one. If not... Can we have one?... You made my day!

Last edited by The Real Deal; 06-07-08 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-07-08, 08:14 AM
There is more involved here than making a buck (or a million, or a billion).
We all have a share in social responsibility, and since greed is naturally imbedded in our human nature, laws are there to keep things in check...to keep "us" in check.
Otherwise, the jungle would be a walk-in-the-park compared to living amongst ourselves.

Old 06-07-08, 08:58 AM
R
I would be upset as well. its all about $$$$. The refrigerants changed when the patents ran out. There is no need to use dangerous ones. No need for the EPA's interference.
Example. BMW has just selected its new refrigerant for all its cars starting in 2010. Its much more efficient and wait for... its CO2.

The stuff we exhale. The stuff plants consume.

Old 06-07-08, 09:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Raleighnc,

Homeowners CANNOT purchase or service their refrigerant without EPA certification. I would like to see proof that homeowners are allowed to violate federal law.

To imply other homeowners on this forum that it's ok for them to do this is bad business and will not be tolerated on this forum.

To say laws have exemptions for homeowners is absolutely bogus. In my city, I legally cannot even change more then 4 light switches without having a licensed electrician do it.

Old 06-07-08, 09:21 AM
Greed.

Factoid - Case in point - Its not about fair!...

The US government (And its subcontractors) has... and still to this day Use/Used (freon - just like the old days like in Hairspray for the ladies and mindful men) as a propellant for painting ( In Open Bays - unconfined) the specialized radar evading paint on equipment... (because it is such a good non-evasive propellant compared to what is available) such as painting...( Nucular Weapons, tanks, Aircraft, Hummers, Battle Ships, carriers, of all types and every other piece of equipment used on the battlefield Sea, Land, And Air). They, - the US government and its subcontractors - (The Only Known Exemption I know of )Is/Are "Exempt" from their own EPA law. It is estimated that this painting action dumps literally billions of pounds of refrigerant (freon based propelant) into the atmosphere each year.

Now... So much for the good of mankind - Laws, and our Ozone. I wonder if anyone has benefited from this EPA law beyond( Airconditioning Repair Organizations). Now for all you homeowners... It aint that way! You cant handle or buy Refrigerant. Period because you might intentionally VENT it into our atmosphere...Dont Believe me? Look it up.

Old 06-07-08, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Real Deal

Could ya tell me where the info in that "factoid" came from? Unless things have changed, I never heard of that. Course they never painted any F117's or F22's where I was..lol.

Old 06-07-08, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 336 Likes on 267 Posts
This thread is getting a little out of hand so I'm closing it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: