Window Unit Efficiency reduced to 20%

Old 06-07-08, 12:06 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wink Window Unit Efficiency reduced to 20%

Hi All,

I have 1.5 tons general window AC. It was working fine 2 days back but suddenly its cooling efficiency drop down to 20%. Intake and exhaust air have very little temperature difference. exhaust air is flowing with less pressure than before.

I can hear compressor running sound , I can also see some freezing on top left of intake fins.

please help

Old 06-07-08, 08:46 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You probably need to do a good coil cleaning on this puppy. Pull it out and set it in the yard use a good quality coil cleaner chemical and rinse well and you should be good to go. Keep the filter clean and correctly installed and it will probably work for many more years.

Old 06-08-08, 09:30 PM
A
Originally Posted by Former Member
You probably need to do a good coil cleaning on this puppy. Pull it out and set it in the yard use a good quality coil cleaner chemical and rinse well and you should be good to go. Keep the filter clean and correctly installed and it will probably work for many more years.
It didn't worked

Old 06-08-08, 10:15 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you cleaned the coils and washed the filter, then there is something else going on. Are coils icing up? Have you tested the air temp coming out of the AC? It's only going to cool about 15 degrees cooler than outdoor temp. The hotter it is outdoors, then subtract from that temp. You could have a freon leak or other problem such as with the compressor. Depending on age of unit, you might better off to simply replace the unit than to attempt repairs.

Old 06-08-08, 10:35 PM
A
Originally Posted by twelvepole
If you cleaned the coils and washed the filter, then there is something else going on. Are coils icing up? Have you tested the air temp coming out of the AC? It's only going to cool about 15 degrees cooler than outdoor temp. The hotter it is outdoors, then subtract from that temp. You could have a freon leak or other problem such as with the compressor. Depending on age of unit, you might better off to simply replace the unit than to attempt repairs.
There is no difference between the air temperature coming in and out of the unit.

I can hear the compressor sound, it is working, there is also some ice on top front coil.

There is also some leaking sound.

this unit was working great 2 or 3 days before. please help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: