Compressor Shut Down In 90's

Old 06-07-08, 12:22 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compressor Shut Down In 90's

When the outside temp hits around 90, the compressor shuts down. It only comes back on when the outside temp cools down. It works fine when the temp is in the 80's. I've had five repairmen look at it, a new compressor put in, and it still does it!! I've checked with our local electric co., and we are not on any energy saving program. WHAT GIVES??????

Old 06-07-08, 01:25 PM
Does it shut down for good, or come on and off every now and then?

Is the coil clean?

What's the make and model # of the unit?

Old 06-07-08, 02:21 PM
B
compressor shuts down in 90's

It is a Bryant, Model #561CJ042. About 8 years old but with a new compressor installed last September.

It runs fan until the temp gets into the low 90's. Then the compressor shuts down, and all I get is the furnace fan blowing. When the outside temp drops a little, the compressor kicks back on.

Could there be some sort of thermostat on the unit itself that shuts down at a certain temp? It runs fine when the temp is no hotter than the 80's. It is almost like clockwork when the 90's hit. We are currently in the low to mid-90's here in Louisville with 90's forecast for next week. It runs fine at night, fine in the mornings, but when that temp hits the low 90's around 1 or 2, it shuts down until around 7 in the evening.

Any ideas?????

Old 06-08-08, 10:23 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
Dirty condenser coil, overcharge, or high pressure limit opening prematurely.

Old 06-09-08, 11:19 AM
B
Ac Shuts Down In 90's

Well, as luck would have it, the AC has run fine the last two days with the temp in the 90's here again. So, I cancelled the repairman to save $75 service call. But....it will probably happen again. If so, I'll just have to check back here.

Old 06-09-08, 12:10 PM
S
Clean the condensor and evaporator coils and you should be good to go. If not then the pressures must be checked when the temps are in the 90's, you are probably overcharged with refrigerant if you still have a problem. Several other things could be wrong but those are the most common especially the condensor coil being dirty clean it and see what you have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: