water leaking from furnace even when off PICS!!!

Old 06-10-08, 08:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy water leaking from furnace even when off PICS!!!

well today i cut the wire that connects my outside a/c unit to the furnace with the weed eater.... the inside unit was still on trying to cool without the help from the outside unit. i turned the unit off as soon as i noticed. then opened the furnace closet and seen water leaking from the bottom of the furnace. it seems to keep puddling in from of the coil. after i reconnected the wires outside the unit worked as usual but i still have water leaking out i even turned it off again and it has been leaking for hours now. slow but steady. i was wondering is it safe to undo the drain pipe on the right side...the coil sticker reads pressurized! unit is a armstrong ultra sx 80 high efficiency model #CAC30-3 part #42490j095 gas furnace thanks in advance!!! the first pic you can see the paper towel i have by the coil where it is leaking.

Old 06-11-08, 06:15 PM
S
the white PVC pipe is your condensate drain it is probably stopped up. Use your wet vac and some air pressure to clear it. It sounds like just a coincidence that the wire was cut and then the leak started unless there is a condensate pump wired into the control voltage some way.

Old 06-16-08, 02:14 PM
J
replaced drain line

we replaced the drain line and the water is running through it just fine but there is still water dripping out of the bottom. (where the red cap is in the picture) when we turn on the a/s it gets cool maybe not as cool as it did before but still cool. any other suggestions would be great. thanks jennifer
jenmaster2@aol.com

Old 06-16-08, 03:41 PM
S
If your leak is above the connection to the white pvc drain line then the blockage may be inside the coil case. It is probably time for a Evaporator coil and condensate drian pan cleaning and inspection. You could have a rusted thru drain pan. The outside unit not running should have no affect on the proper drainage of condensate water, still a coincidence I think. Anyway lets get a gallon of evaporator coil cleaner/garden sprayer and a long handled medium bristle nylon brush and get this coil and pan cleaned so that we can see what is going on with it. Do you have some good mechanical skill? You may have to cut in access door or two but try not to do what this guy did the other day where he cut into the refrigerant line trying to cut in an access door. He released the entire 12lbs and 10 ounces of R22 refrigerant from his unit. Coil is clean now though and it is running great (1000 dollars later)........ Be careful out there people we need work but not that badly LOL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: