AC not blowing...

Old 06-11-08, 10:00 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC not blowing...

Hi, I was just taking a shot to see if anyone had any ideas. My AC stopped blowing a couple of days ago. It seemed to be working fine all day then towards the evening, it stopped blowing out of the vents. We had a family member who is AC certified come by to check it out yesterday. When he had us turn it on, it was working fine. He checked the freon among other things to see what would have caused it to stop blowing and to make sure it wasn't freezing over, but everything checked out fine. Then, about 2 hours after he left, we felt how stuffy it was getting in the house and sure enough, nothing blowing out of the vents. You can feel coldness when you put your hand near them, just nothing blowing out. He is going to come back out today and said he was going to ask around his shop for any ideas...but I thought I would see if anyone on here had any hints to check for. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 06-11-08, 05:13 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your certified tech will need to do some in depth checks. You will need to determine if your blower motor is still running when the coil freezes up. A intermittent blower motor will certainly freeze the coil. Do you loose the vent airflow all at once or does it seem to go away gradually? A lot of times a dirty or too restrictive return filter will freeze the coil regardless of charge level so make sure you have a clean free flowing filter in there. What size tonnage is your system and what size is the filter? You could also have a dirty evap coil I am sure he will find the problem when he gets back out, obviously he will check the basics before blaming the charge level since all that must be good to set the proper charge level anyway. I am betting that the little woman just recently bought a super duper allergy type highly restrictive return filter and stuck it in the return grille and the system is dying from not getting enough airflow, but let us know for sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: