AC unit not turning on? please help it's HOT

Old 06-13-08, 06:03 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC unit not turning on? please help it's HOT

I have a Bryant heating and air system. The air has been working fine till yesterday. The unit outside is not responding. I have pulled the cover and checked the contactor. It does engage. I have power going threw it to the fan and compressor. Still no go. I did have to knock on the fan housing this spring before it would fire up. Does the fan have too run before the compressor will? Is there a pressure switch to override the system I missed on the diagram? I have not put any gauges on it yet.

Old 06-14-08, 04:39 AM
The fact that the contactor contacts are engaging tells you that the 24V side is good, but it does NOT necessarily tell you that power is going through (as you suggest)...the only way to really know is to check with a voltmeter and see that you indeed have 240V across the power terminals of the contactor...have you done that?

There may indeed be pressure switches there. You may have a manual-reset high pressure cutout and you may have an auto-reset low pressure cutout. But we can't know that unless we see the schematic. So, pls post the MFR and M/N of this condensing unit and we'll take it from there. Maybe the mfr has the schematic available online.

Maybe is much simpler, a fuse gone bad or a circuit breaker that has tripped.

Old 06-14-08, 06:23 AM
G
Bryant m/n 561cj024-d. I have checked voltage with a meter. Each leg has 120v. I followed it threw the contactor, and compaseter out too the fan, and as far as I could reach to the compressor. I cant find any resets or pressure switches. Ill run too the shop and get my guages today.

Old 06-14-08, 12:14 PM
H
You have a bad capacitor. See if it's a dual fan/compressor capacitor. I'll almost guarantee you that's what it is.

Old 06-17-08, 06:10 AM
G
Do dice. I replaced the capacitor. It did have a problem, but that didnt solve mine. I was able to hook my guages up. High side and low side are around 65 on r22 scale.
These are low if on a car. I'm not sure on a house. Do I just need a service. I looked around with a uv light. Couldnt find anything glowing, or any oil anywere. If it has a leak its pretty small.

Old 06-17-08, 05:19 PM
O
65 PSI when idle? It's flat. Or did you mean 65 degrees s.p.?

And by the way, home systems should not leak at all, unlike cars where slow leaking is normal. It's best if you find out where it's leaking before you charge it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: