Outside a/c suddenly quit today- trips breaker

Old 06-16-08, 06:41 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside a/c suddenly quit today- trips breaker

Carrier 38TG036310 a/c
Was cooling normally until 4PM today, then stopped cooling. I could hear the system trying to start repeatedly. Fan blower continued to run. Outside breaker was tripped. I turned the system off, reset breaker, and tried it again. It tripped the outside breaker and the inside breaker immediately. I moved outside fan blades; they turn easily. No odor of burnt wires.

What is the probable problem? Any chance it is something relatively inexpensive?

Thank you for your time and attention.

- Charlie

Old 06-17-08, 06:30 PM
Sounds like the compressor is your issues. With the breaker tripping right away, sign of a shorted unit...

Turn power off, and remove service panel to make sure there is no wire that is short in the wire, and also do you have a meter?

Old 06-18-08, 08:58 AM
Could be major, such as a bad compressor. Or something minor like a start capacitor or wiring burnt on the compressor terminals. The spade clips get loose after a while and heat up because of resistance. There are kits to replace the terminals now. "Term-lok"
Depending on how old the system is, and if the compressor's bad, it might be wise to go with a new system. More efficient, 0% ODP refrigerant. With 13 SEER & up, you could get a DOE rebate, too. Varies by state.
Tom

Last edited by HVAC Mech.; 06-18-08 at 08:59 AM. Reason: mispelling

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: