Freon charge every year? 2 1/2 yr old unit

Old 06-17-08, 08:44 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Freon charge every year? 2 1/2 yr old unit

First of all, great forum! Thank you for availing this.
I moved into new house in Oct '05. It was really cold so didnt test the AC unit at the time. My inspector said, you have 1 yr warranty so dont worry. Come next summer (2006), AC didnt work. Called the builder/hvac company, who installed it. They came and said they fixed it - no mention of leak. AC worked, it may have lost efficiency over the summer, didnt pay attention. Following summer (2007), same story. So the technician came, said since it wasnt fixed the last time so we will fix it for free. He did mention that there was a leak and its taken care of. Now this summer (2008) same thing, I called them, they said they will charge me for service call and whatever charges to fix the problem.

I have been reading on this forum that they must fix the leak before charging the gas again. I dont think they ever fixed it good.

I live in Atlanta, GA. Isnt there any law that should hold them accountable for this kind of repair. What are my options?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Old 06-17-08, 09:51 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
It could have developed a new leak since the last time. Look at the bright side, you got it fixed for free twice.

Maybe if you post the manufacturer and model number the guys that work with this stuff every day can tell you if that particular unit is more prone to leakage or other failure than normal.

Old 06-18-08, 07:57 AM
T
dont you think this shouldnt happen to a brand new unit? I think the unit was faulty to begin with. In anycase, thanks for your comment.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 06-18-08 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-18-08, 08:02 AM
T
Make and Model

The make and model are - Lennox C3324A2F.

I have two separate units for upstairs and downstairs. Upstaris one works perfect.

Old 06-18-08, 08:13 AM
Cool

I assume you have a split system with an indoor & outdoor unit connected by copper pipe. Called a line set. That is where the leak(s) would be, most likely. Remember now, it will leak all the time, whether running or not. So it appears you have a very small leak, probably at an elbow or coupling under the insulation on the suction line. If it's leaking at the liquid line (smaller, uninsulated) you might be able to see oil at the leak.
Obviously you have a low pressure cutout, so no damage will occur from running low on rerigerant. The question is, how much do you want to spend to repair this leak. Finding it and repairing it can take time, and time is money. And, the tech. has to be able to get to every part of that line set, which could require opening walls. And, there is no guarantee that you won't get another leak down the road. It all comes back to the quality of the installation, and the experience of the installer. Your decision...
Tom

Old 06-18-08, 08:54 AM
T
Thank you for valuable advice.

so do you recommend just getting a new unit instead of spending money every year on trying to fix the leak?

Obviously, installer didnt do a good job. In your opinion, how much would it cost to replace it?

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 06-18-08 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Not necessary to quote entire post; please use the "reply" button
Old 06-18-08, 01:46 PM
T
anyone?

I have this defect noted in the first inspection report. It does mention that the unit wasnt leveled and wasnt blowing cool air at the time of inspection. It was left upto the builder/installer to fix the problem. I thin they just charged up the gas but didnt fix the leak.

Please advice.

Old 06-18-08, 05:39 PM
Whoa, Whoa, Efin Whoa!

This is the one of the many reasons I will not work residential.

You bought this house in 05 and got a free charge and "fix" in 06 and 07 but a cost in 08!

Get mad, get very mad. THis company actually came back on two warrenty calls and still didn't fix it!

Call the company Service Manager, Installation Manager, and Owner. Also call the local EPA office and advice them of your situation, there is a fine and still a reward ( I think ).

A story like yours just ticks me off.

YOu have a leak and it is most likely do to an improper install.

Low refrigerant is more noticable in summer than winter. What were electric bills over the winters?

Be the thorn in someones side and get it fixed for free, I mean really fixed.

Make them recover the refrigerant and pressure test to 400# nitrogen and hold it for 30 min. Then pull a 500 micron vaccuum and hold that with no more than a 200 micron rise in 30 min.

Sealed system means sealed, no leaks.

Old 06-19-08, 10:39 AM
T
Jarredsdad,

Thank you! I needed to hear it from someone that they should fix it for free and really fix it this time. They just told me that it would be $800 (estimated) to fix it. The technician said, he wouldnt have charged anything if it was within a year since the last visit, which was sometime in May 2007. I wasnt able to reach the guy for last 4-5 weeks, wouldnt return calls. So thats a nice touch

I left a message to my builder, they are reputed in the area so hopefully they will help fix this. Also, left a message to EPA, just in case.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: