Rattle sound window unit???

Old 06-19-08, 10:08 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rattle sound window unit???

Hello all,

I just bought an Admiral brand (1 year old) 24,000 BTU window unit for my home. I installed it and wired it in and everything works great, the air is cold and everything, but one small problem. The other night after I installed it and went to bed, a few hours later I woke up to the sound of it rattling somewhat loudly. Last night, (2nd night having it) when I turn it on, the fan in the foam that actually blows out of the unit, seems to be making a small rattling sound while it spins, even if the compressor is not on. The air still blows cold and everything, but I just don't know what this could be. I have a tight seal on the unit, and it's screwed down into the joist, and when it's on, it doesn't seem make much movement at all. Also, the loud rattling only seems to start after a couple hours of running...what could it be???

Old 06-19-08, 12:18 PM
Cool

You could slide it out of the case and check to see if the fan is hitting anything like the fins. Make sure the fan blade isn't loose on the shaft, make sure a wire tie isn't missing, make sure the motor bracket screws are tight. If it's noisy after warm up, it could be bad motor bearings, see if there's oil holes on the motor. Check for motor shaft end play. More than about 1/16th" is bad.
Tom

Old 06-20-08, 12:01 PM
C
Thank you for the reply,

I haven't pulled the unit back out, but just wondering, could water build up and distort the unit if it doesn't have a decline or sufficient drain, possibly due to blockage?

Old 06-24-08, 01:33 PM
C
Hey HVAC Mech,

I pulled my unit out of my window last night and the round fan within the foam behind the air intake side of the fins, was broken. It looks like a gerbils running wheel, with many closely angled fins. I used zip ties and put around either fin of the seperation point and pulled them back together. It actually came back together very well but still makes a little bit of a rattle, so I'm thinking the fan itself needs to be replaced? Do you know of an inexpensive source to buy this replacement part from? Thanks,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: