Window AC constant hiss when off

Old 06-20-08, 09:54 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window AC constant hiss when off

Hello, haven't been here in awhile. well, my window AC (Kenmore 75062) makes a quiet constant hiss even when turned off for several hours. In fact, it hasn't been on for a week, and it's still hissing. It still works fine, however.

I'm thinking it may be a crankcase heater causing the refrigerant to expand and move throughout the system, or possibly a leak. But, I don't think I would hear 12 oz of refrigerant leak out for a week though, wouldn't it be gone in a few hours?

Overall, I am very satisfied with my ac, and would be saddened to see it go. Can anyone verify if any of my claims are right, or perhaps know a solution?
Thanks.

Old 06-20-08, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
It probably is normal, but have you tried actually unplugging it?

I'm sure one of the Pro's will tell you what it may be.

I think yer right, don't see how it could be an actual leak.

Old 06-20-08, 10:10 AM
Must be a nest of lizards in thar and you are making them angry enough to hiss constantly? Better clean that puppy out. Oh sry a moment of humor thar.
Most likely what you are hearing has a electrical source either a capacitor or rectifier in the system is bad. unplug it as Gunny says and report back here immediately with the results of this critical test.

Old 06-20-08, 10:10 AM
M
I just unplugged it, and the hissing stopped immediately. I don't think the heater would cool that fast, maybe it's the beeper making a hiss sound, like when speakers are connected they hiss even with no signal? Let me try plugging it back in.

Yep, it's the beeper/some other electrical part. It hisses the instant I plug it back in. But, it's not loud enough to bother me, I can't hear it unless I put my ear directly by the unit.

I can't believe it tricked me like this. It sounds exactly like a coolant leak. Also the ac is brand new, so I don't think it's a defect.

Old 06-20-08, 10:52 AM
Thanks for getting right back with your information it is so important to be punctual. I have read that there is a HUGE loss of electrical power due to parasitic losses such as this, almost very device that utilizes a remote control uses some power even when shut off. The power companies love it though. Perhaps we can save the seals/polar bears/penquins and maybe even a snail darter or two if we just unplug everything??

Old 06-20-08, 12:18 PM
M
I agree, not only do we need to make these devices more efficient, we need more infrastructure to support our growing population. In many areas of the country there aren't enough distribution lines and generating facilities. People are always getting in the way of new lines though, During one excessively hot summer up in New England they were having rolling blackouts due to ac use. People died.

Old 06-21-08, 09:57 AM
An alliance between the power company and the federal gov't.
SSA is running out of money to pay retiree's benefits. Therefore rolling blackouts. It's called thinning the herd.
Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: