Trane loud hum, electric meter running up!

Old 06-23-08, 08:13 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane loud hum, electric meter running up!

Hi everyone,

This morning I turned off the AC at the thermostat as I was getting ready to leave for work today. Over the next few minutes, I noticed this hum, almost a buzz, getting louder very slowly, coming from the heat pump outside. I went to look, and the fan wasn't moving, the exterior seemed a little cool to the touch, and the one refrigerant (I think) pipe was warm. The electric conduit, the corrugated-looking metal pipe, appeared to be part of the hum at least, because when I grabbed it, I could feel the buzzing and the noise quieted just a little (I guess my hand was insulating it from vibrating against the metal somewhere?).

Normally there's a big "whoosh" of air from the heat pump when I shut off the AC, which there was here, but I have never heard (or at least noticed before) this loud hum. The crazy thing was that while it was buzzing, I checked our electric meter, and it was spinning like crazy! I mean like 1 revolution per 2 seconds.

After about 5 minutes from when I first really noticed it, when the hum finally stopped (on its own), I checked the meter again and it was back to normal, which is to say turning very very slowly.

Anyone have experience with this before? What could be the problem? Thanks for any help everyone.

Ray

Old 06-23-08, 11:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You have so many ifs ifs here.

[QUOTEI went to look, and the fan wasn't moving, the exterior seemed a little cool to the touch, and the one refrigerant (I think) pipe was warm. ][/QUOTE]
Was the compressor running and not the fan???? Yet you say you shut it off at the tstat?????

Normally there's a big "whoosh" of air from the heat pump when I shut off the AC, which there was here, but I have never heard (or at least noticed before) this loud hum. The crazy thing was that while it was buzzing, I checked our electric meter, and it was spinning like crazy! I mean like 1 revolution per 2 seconds.
could be the comperssor was running????? That Whoosh when the AC goes off is tha 4 way valve going over to heat.
if you dont have a meter and know electric Id say call a tech to look at it now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: