Help several A/C Problems

Old 06-24-08, 04:41 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help several A/C Problems

I had an A/C guy come out in his off time (friend of a friend kind of deal). My blower and unit wouldn't come on. He basically told me I needed to do 2 things. 1. Replace the board on the inside unit. 2. Replace the contactor on the outside unit. I replaced the board and bought the recommended contactor (2 pole, 240 v, 40 amp). The new board started blowing fuses. I replaced the fuse and immediately it would blow again. Tested with the fan on and the ouside unit off and nothing blew. If I turned the outside unit on, the fuse would blow immediatly. I did a search, it said it could be a problem with the contactor. I replaced the contactor and all started to work. The contactor I replaced seemed to be a single pole contactor, the a/c guy told me to get a 2 pole. When the system started up there was a large power draw, so much that all the lights in my house got dim. The next day, my unit wouldn't start. the fuse on the board did not blow, and I took the old board off and looked at it and it doesn't have any burn marks on the back? What could my problem be. Do I need to just replace my thermostat wiring? Is it a transformer problem? What can I check to determine my problem.

Old 06-24-08, 06:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Perhaps you could provide some details of what you have? System brand/size-tonnage/type split or package and Heat pump or conventional system/age in std years (not dog years)/return filter size/fuse breaker sizes -at disconnect + main breaker/electrical supply voltage at contactor/ amp draw when unit is running for compressor and condenser fan/temperature reading at face of return grille and supply vent closest to unit when unit has run a while and stabilized. Get your info in quickly so a proper diagnostic can be started.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: