Primary drain pan leaking?

Old 06-27-08, 01:03 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Primary drain pan leaking?

hello everybody,

I really need some help. I had my air conditioner replaced with a new attic unit 3 years ago. So i'm really surprised there are problems already, but yeah, rusty water is leaking out of the secondary drain outside of my house so i knew there was something wrong. I went up in the attic and checked to see if the primary drain was clogged. It was not. In fact, no water was leaking out of the main drain or the secondary drain. The water was coming out of the bottom of the primary drain pan where the main drain was but not out of the main drain itself. From what i could see also, the primary drain pan was not filled to the top with water, so i'm assuming that there is a leak in the primary pan itself. Is this a safe assumption? is there other possibilities? If it is the primary drain pan, can i replace it myself? Is this an expensive fix? I was looking around and couldn't see any screws to take off the cover to see the pan itself. I thank anyone ahead of time for any advice/help.

thanks, mitchell

Old 06-27-08, 04:51 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Your yearly service should have cleaned the drain line and added drain tabs. Id call them back

Old 06-27-08, 07:41 PM
If you dry the pan and clean it real well, you may be able to use epoxy or a fiberglass body repair kit to fix the leak. Some of these units have to have the coil removed to replace the pan. Labor intensive if the charge has to be recovered to cut the lines, then evacuate and recharge.
Plus, some companies want to sell you new refrigerant and a filter-drier or two. Big bucks.
Yeah, If it was mine, I'd try the goop first.
Tom

Old 06-30-08, 09:37 AM
M
thanks, i will try to repair the leak myself...but like i said earlier, i see no screws or anything to give me access to the primary drain pan...wish me luck...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: