Freon filter installed backwards????

Old 06-27-08, 02:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Freon filter installed backwards????

Hey guys,

I was doing an annual coil cleaning today on my CAC A-coil and condenser unit when I noticed something strange with the freon filter outside. The freon filter seems to be installed backwards. Well let me show you some pictures.

http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc0211bca2.jpg
http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0211xq9.jpg
http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0208kf9.jpg

Take a good look at the arrows on the freon filter. Shouldn't they be pointing towards the condenser?

It appears that the freon filter this HVAC guy replaced last year was installed backwards I think. I had to call a Tech last year to disconnect and reconnect my condenser unit for new flooring outside and had it recharged also. He told me I should replace my freon filter after every recharge so I believed him. Anyway, long story short it looks like the tech installed the freon filter backwards? Common sense tells me that the "return" or the hot small pipe should be flowing TO the condenser with the arrows on the freon filter towards the condenser. The final questions from me to you are:

1) From the pictures that you see, do you think my freon filter was installed backwards? If yes, does it matter?

2) Does a Tech always have to replace the freon filter after every recharge?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-08, 02:53 PM
One of the techs will chime in following me, but I do believe your filter dryer is on the right way. This is because it is attached to the liquid refrigerant line (the smaller uninsulated hot one), which is the line the refrigerant goes through to enter the house (the refrigerant flows the way the filter indicates). The larger line with the black insulation is the vapor suction line - refrigerant returns to the compressor through that line.

I also do believe the tech is right, and that R410a systems which I'm guessing you have require a fresh filter dryer when the system is opened to the atmosphere for some reason.

Old 06-27-08, 03:03 PM
Thumbs down I thought...

Hey Codyy thanx for the reply

I thought the cold suction line flowed to the A-coil inside the house (where the air handler is) where the coldness is harnessed through the A-coils (inside the home) and heat is transfered from the home through the smaller warm pipe line for the condenser unit to cool off? Are you positive the suction (big pipe) flows towards the condenser? It doesn't make sense to me. This isn't a heat pump, I could understand if cold suction is flowing to the condenser in winter if it is heating the home but I only have an R-22 Central AC system, no heat pump. I got FHW boiler with radiators for heat.

Old 06-27-08, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The filter/drier is just fine.

Old 06-27-08, 03:32 PM
I initially thought the same as you, but it would appear that it is the opposite.

The compressor compresses the gas and it becomes a high pressure hot vapour. It then goes through the coils outside (the condensing unit) where it condenses and becomes a liquid. That liquid travels inside your home to the A-coil (evaporator) where it goes through an expansion device and becomes cool, returning to a gas state (through evaporation) and removing heat from your air. This vapor returns to the compressor to start the process all over again!

Here's a link that explains it once again:
http://warmair.net/html/refrigeration_cycle.htm

Old 06-27-08, 03:59 PM
Thumbs up I see!

Thanx Codyy for the clarification, so that's wat that valve is for in the A-coil I see. Talk about learning something new everyday!

GregH thanx for confirming the filter/dryer is installed correctly. Now I understand the process.

Also, do you always have to replace the filter/dryer on every recharge of an R-22 system?

Old 06-27-08, 04:43 PM
No problem, I myself have learnt a great deal from these forums!

Now I believe that the filter dryer is usually changed out when the lines are opened up as a way to remove any foreign material and/or moisture/non-condensables. Other than that, since the system is sealed, recharges are not needed unless a leak opens up.

From what I have heard of, the filters are mostly used on R410a units but since you say yours is R22 I'm sure it can be done on those systems as well.

Old 06-27-08, 07:31 PM
All flourocarbon based refrigerants can use filter-driers if and when the system loses it's original integrity, which is just a matter of time, or from necessary service. Usually used after repair to a leak on the suction side when air/water vapor has been sucked in, or to clean up after a compressor burnout, or acid formation.
Tom

Old 06-27-08, 08:14 PM
Hmm

Your drier is in correct.

So how about re tapeing the tstat wire, picking up and tossing the old drier from the last compressor repalcement and insulating that sucion line?

Old 06-28-08, 10:26 PM
Thumbs up ok

Tom:
thanks for the input. Are you also implying that a brand new system (ie: new pipes, new indoor A-coil and outdoor condenser) don't necessarily need a filter dryer until the pipe loop is opened for the first time after the initial install? Do filter dryers lower efficiency?

Jarredsdad:
I'm never quite in tune with cosmetics. Does sealing that last 1 foot of suction pipe really make a big difference anyway? yea the tstat wire shud be taped up I agree. and yea ive been meaning to throw that old filter dryer away, i'll get around to it

Old 06-29-08, 05:28 AM
Perhaps not a large difference, but a difference yes.

You want subcoolid liquid leaving the condenser all the way to the evap. And superheated gas coming back to the compressor.

We say superheated gas, but it's actually cool/cold. Thermaldynamics stuff there.

The important thing is that the cool suction gas is what cools the compressor and compressor motor. Suction gas not cool enough compressor runs hotter or worse.

So ask yourself which is cheaper, a few feet of insulation and elec tape, or a new compressor?

Old 06-29-08, 07:58 AM
I believe filter dryers are even added to some new systems but I may be wrong, for the sake of moisture removal and whatnot.

Old 06-29-08, 08:29 AM
Most new (not cheap) systems have driers installed at the factory. This is largely due to lazy installers not adding a drier in the field.

Cheaper for the manufacturer that free warranty parts.

Old 05-17-10, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Codyy View Post
No problem, I myself have learnt a great deal from these forums!

Now I believe that the filter dryer is usually changed out when the lines are opened up as a way to remove any foreign material and/or moisture/non-condensables. Other than that, since the system is sealed, recharges are not needed unless a leak opens up.

From what I have heard of, the filters are mostly used on R410a units but since you say yours is R22 I'm sure it can be done on those systems as well.
Dryers will trap foreign matter and moisture so they will not effect the system, but has no effect, what so ever, on non condensables. Dryers are an extra measure taken by HVAC techs to insure a system is protected. Along with dryers a good tech will follow proper evaluation and dehydration procedures, to remove as much moisture and non condensables as present technology will allow. If a burnt out compressor is replaced, the system is often flushed and in addition to a liquid line dryer, a suction line dryer is installed. It is also commonly suggested that the suction line dryer be replaced at least once after it is installed for better system clean up.

Old 05-17-10, 07:30 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Two years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!