Circuit breaker blew, now AC compressor not coming on

Old 06-28-08, 04:51 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Circuit breaker blew, now AC compressor not coming on

I have an original Fedders AC unit (from the 60s) on my back porch.

Just recently, the cicuit breaker tripped. I reset the breaker and the fan in the AC unit started working again, but I can't hear the compressor running and the house isn't being cooled. Air is being blow through the vents but it's warm, not cool like it should be.

Last summer, I replaced the blower fan and it was working perfectly until today.

Could it be the regulator? (The canister looking thing where the power lines going to the compressor and blower fan come out of)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 06-28-08, 06:37 PM
J
Not sure what you mean. There is no regulator.

To further diagnose, you will need a meter. I would first ohm out the compressor and check all connections. Not too many compressors survive 40+ years. Could this be an old r-12 system?

Old 06-28-08, 06:41 PM
A
It's actually an R22 system. I assume it's from 1960 as that's what it said on the metal tag on the casing.

On the back of the unit is this plastic device with wires coming out of it. I assume this is what turns the fan and compressor off and on as needed to cool the house. I'm thinking if this plastic unit is malfunctioning, perhaps why the compressor isn't coming on.

I'll test the connections as you say and go from there. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-29-08, 04:11 AM
A
If I were to purchase a used, up to date AC unit, could it be charged with an automotive freon kit? Do the new ones take R134?

Thanks again for any further help.

Old 06-29-08, 06:27 AM
Your old compressor windings shorting out is probably what blew the breaker.

Now that the break does not blow and the fan runs would be an indication the the compressor windings are open.

If you remove power and ohm the compressor, I suspect you'll find the windings open.

Time to replace.

134A is not used in residential. Cars and refrigeration.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: