zone damper problems

Old 07-01-08, 04:31 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
zone damper problems

I have a 2 zone central A/C system. I normanlly run the upstairs zone without running the downstairs zone. A few weeks ago I noticed cool air coming from the downstairs zone even though the stat was not calling for A/C. When I had the annual A/C check-up (two weeks ago) I mentioned it to the technician and he said he would remove the dampers and spray. Didn't have a need to run system past 10 days because its been comfortable in CT. Went to use it the other day and it worked fine for about a day but now its back to where the cool air is coming out of the downstairs zone. Any ideas on what's happening? Is there something I can do myself to fix it or close the downstairs zone manually? Right now I have the upstairs set at 76 degrees but the downstairs temp is 70 degrees and the stat is set for 76. Doesn't seem too efficent to run the system this way. Thanks.

Old 07-01-08, 04:40 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Zone system are famous for this. Sounds like you have a damper motor that is stuck or bad.

Old 07-01-08, 05:13 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioning Repair

If your damper is normally closed it is probably stuck open due to the spring return system being fouled up, this happens alot in damp crawl space environments. If it is normally open then you have either a bad damper motor or a control voltage failure

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: