cuts off overload protector of compressor

Old 07-03-08, 12:37 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cuts off overload protector of compressor

im new here and im not really good in hvac i just wanna know why the compressor overload protector cuts off but the pressure is 60psi and the amp is 13a the ambient is 140f here in iraq. what should i do? pls somebody give me an advice for this kind of problem.

Old 07-03-08, 01:13 PM
The overload opens to protect the compressor. It operates in relation the the internal or external temp of the compressor, not pressure.

Is the unit in direct sunlight, or near another heat source? 140 is hot!

What are all the pressure/temperature readings for this system? What is the make? Model and serial numbers?

Old 07-03-08, 02:25 PM
J
I don't think the system was designed for 140 degree outdoor temperatures. Even so, the condenser coils would have to be perfectly clean.

I would like to know what the head pressure is.

Old 07-04-08, 03:05 AM
B
sorry for late reply!!! yeah the head pressure is 350psi
the unit was LG 28,000 BTU, type of compressor is sroll
yes i always clean the inside and outside coil... yes mybe the unit is not design for this kind of weather here in iraq

Old 07-04-08, 09:11 AM
J
At 350 psi, r22 has a saturated condensing temperature of 143 degrees. That's too close to the outdoor air temperature. I believe the refrigerant is not condensing. Therefore, little or no cooling can occur when it reaches the evaporator. This equals an overheated compressor.

Old 07-04-08, 09:35 PM
B
now i understand!!! so, what should i do?

Old 07-04-08, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

My chart stops at 120F. Is that 60 psi on the suv. line?? It should be higher
Is this a TXV on the unit?? Condenser can yo put it in the shad?? dont block any air to it. Dust there is the condenser coil clean??

Old 07-05-08, 02:45 AM
B
no its not TXV, the ambient temp now here is 125, but still the compressor kicks off, i clean the evaporator yesterday and the other tech said just put water on the compressor to cool it. but i dont wanna do it everytime when the comp. overloading

and one more thing the unit is in direct sunligth 12 to 4 oclock in the afternoon.

Old 07-05-08, 08:16 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is interesting. It is as if the air conditioner needs an air conditioner.

In a real emergency this way I wonder if anyone has packed bags of ice up by it. If ambient were 125 - 140, I wonder what sun temp is. ??. At least one could rig up something white or foil over the area you would think to at least make sure it is no more than ambient.

This thought just occured to me: I wonder if under similar circumstance if anyone has tried running a small duct of evaporator a/c back to the compressor area? And then you WOULD have an air conditioned air conditioner - for real.

Old 07-05-08, 08:36 AM
1st step

Since the obvious can be checked IE... Condenser fan spinning, and clean Condenser coil - Remove all the exisiting refrigerant and evacuate the system for a few hours to insure you are dealing with only refrigerant. Recharge with clean dry refrigerant and insure the superheat/subcooling is correct - Which should keep the compressor cool enough at those ambient temps. This way you have eliminated the possible multiple gasses within the system which could account for the compressor not keeping cool enough. This will eliminate (possibilities of problems) and move forward to other avenues.

(Im sure that sadam didnt sweat with his aircondioners overloading) To think that A/C's wont work there in Iraq because of Ambient temps is ridiculous. Iraq had/has as many beautiful buildings and cities prior to the war than any high class city in the US. I assure you they were all airconditioned as I remember it. The conditions there are not so different than Phoenix Az - I lived there, and I was also in the middleeast in 1990.

The internal atmosphere of a hermetic system is far different than the atmosphere external of the hermetic system, mainly speaking of the pressure temperature relationship. Additional coolness external (On the compressor!) will have little effect on the high pressure system concerning the boiling points of gasses at those internal pressures which provide cooling effect to the compressor just as it does to the evaporator. - If ya know what I mean...

Last edited by The Real Deal; 07-05-08 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-05-08, 09:19 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by The Real Deal
To think that A/C's wont work there in Iraq because of Ambient temps is ridiculous.
This is why forums like this are great that several people respond, to get various opinions, and then to finally learn perhaps which opinion holds the greatest significance.

Old 07-10-08, 03:00 AM
B
thank you for all the great explanation and responed to this forum...!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: