Apartment A/C

Old 07-08-08, 05:51 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Apartment A/C

I just recently moved from one apartment in Tallahassee to another. The apartment I moved into is a 1/bed 1 bath second floor unit. It has vaulted ceilings in the living room and kitchen and is about 710 square feet. It was built in 1988. The air handler is in a closet in the unit, with the compressor outside on the ground. I don't believe the compressor is original, but the air handler is. I've been having lots of problems cooling since I moved in. When I'm not home, I set the thermostat at 80 degrees and close the blinds. When I come home in the afternoon, I turn it down to 75. It takes somewhere around 2 and a half or more hours to get down to 75 if it's overcast and in the low 80s outside. If it's mid 80s and higher, it won't get down much cooler than 77-78 degrees. I've had the apartment's maintenance crew out three times to look at it. The filter is clean. The living room vent and bedroom vent have good airflow. The kitchen and bath do not have as good airflow. The air temp coming out of the vents when it is 77 in the room is 65-66 degrees. This is being measured at a vent that is roughly 12-18 inches from the air handler. They also said that everything checks out OK at the compressor. They were supposed to come back yesterday and clean the coils, but they said they looked good when they were here on one of the previous calls. They also said the temps coming out of the vents was about as cool as it was going to get. I just wanted to get a second or third opinion since they believe it is working properly, even though its obviously not cooling the apartment well.

Old 07-08-08, 03:02 PM
S
The maintenance crews knowledge (and probably their motivation) is probably pretty limited. Your system could just be undersized or maybe the construction crew forgot to insulate the walls and ceiling in this particular apartment (beer thirty came early that day!!) If I were in this situation i would call the apartment manager and ask if it would be possible to have a HVAC company come out and properly tune up the unit. They should clean the outside and inside coils install a new return filter and set the refrigerant levels for max efficiency. If the condensor is accessible write down the model numder on it and your AH and we can see if you have a mismatch that could also be causing some performance problems. Keep in mind that a system that is not functioning correctly will use a LOT more energy.

Old 07-08-08, 05:20 PM
J
Well, they called an A/C tech out much to my surprise. The tech said there was too much freon on the high side of the system. He let some freon out, which made a huge difference in the temperature of the air coming out of the registers. Now, instead of having an 11-12 degree difference from the intake register, I've got a 15-17 degree difference. He also cleaned out the coils while he was here, which he said were somewhat covered in dust. So, in the end, everything is working as it should now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: