Outside Fan Does Not Turn On

Old 07-09-08, 09:14 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside Fan Does Not Turn On

My outside Heat Pump fan for upstairs does not run.

House was built in 1993 or 1994 -- these are original units.

Unit is Lennox 10HP24-3P (Serial #5894F18576)

I have:

(a) Replaced capacitor,
(b) Replaced contactor,
(c) Replaced relay,
(d) Swapped out from working downstairs unit (Lennox 10HP36-4P) both the (i) computor/electronic board and (ii) another component with clear housing (looks like another type of relay switch). Result of both swap outs was that the downstairs unit would still run with the parts and the upstairs unit still did not work.
(e) Had a black cylinder unit tested twice and it came back good by two separate testers.
(f) rewrapped very small wires coming into the unit from the house (concerned about shorting out due to weathering and some minor evidence of bare wires).
(g) Have also swapped out fans between the units and the swapped out fan runs fine on the working unit and the other fan does not work on the upstairs unit.

Unit still doesn't work.

Other symptoms:

(a) Can hear slight buzz when unit's individual electrical breakers are turned off to the unit and put ear to the unit (when the upstairs thermostat is switched to "on"). Also, get slight zap of electricity (shocked) when touch certain contacts in that circumstance.

Other:

I don't have an ohm meter and don't know much about them but can be trained. I removed off the insulation cover over the compressor and see no evidence of corrosion or burned wires or contacts.

thoughts?

Homejim

Old 07-09-08, 01:17 PM
H
Check your fuses & voltage to the unit you might have an open leg. Sounds like a voltage problem to me.

And did I mention that I hate Lennox !

Old 07-09-08, 03:03 PM
H
Thanks HVAC-guy --

Where do and how do I check the voltage -- what should it read?

Also, do I have fuses in addition to the breaker switches on my main panel and the breaker switch located above the unit on the outside of my house?

I'm a bit of a slow study sometimes, but catch on pretty good as we go.

Advice?

Homejim

Old 07-09-08, 04:49 PM
H
2nd response to HVAC-Guy's response re checking voltage and fuses.

I picked up an analog Multimeter (Ideal) today and some brief instructions on using same.

I checked the incoming power at the box above the heat pump unit and it is good at 240. Before I push the breaker switch back to "on" to test outgoing power ther, I need to put the Capacitor back in and the black cylinder device (2 contacts on that one) as otherwise I'm concerned about unintended connections. I'll do that work tomorrow morning and check out the outgoing power (from the breaker). If that's OK, I'll check incoming power at the contactor. If that's OK, I'll check the outgoing power on the contactor ensuring that it is tested with the contactor switch connected. If that's OK, I don't know where to go. All should read 240, as I understand.

I'll check in tomorrow after I conduct those tests, although I'd rather be hangin' somewhere on the Lower Salt River in an inflatable.

Thanks again,

Jim

Old 07-09-08, 06:58 PM
Could be a bad board. It sounds like the fan relay is not powered because the board is calling for defrost. It could also be the defrost sensor, which needs to be measured for ohms at ambient temp.
You could try switching the stat to call for heat and see if the condensor fan works then. If so, switch back to cool. A contact may have stuck.

Old 07-10-08, 08:18 AM
H
minor problem on wires

Putting things back together and came up with two purple wires -- one from the RElay and the other from the switch. Both should go to my capacitor.

Which goes to HERM and which to C?

Homejim

Old 07-10-08, 08:22 AM
H
Mistated -- one from CONTACTOR and the other from Relay.

Which goes to HERM and which to C on Capacitor?

Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: