York 80 Blower Fan Running Slow

Old 07-09-08, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York 80 Blower Fan Running Slow

The blower fan on my York Diamond 80 Furnace is running slowly, producing almost no air flow in vents, and making a noise like rumbling air sound, or like a diesel truck parked outside house.

I had the 10 uFD capacitor located below the control box replaced today by a service tech (wished I had read this forum first). Upon replacement, the unit seemed to work OK, although I was concerned that it still was running a bit slow, but airflow was good. This replacement about 11am, and now as of 8pm, blower back to running poorly. Cycling fan on/off via thermostat switch does not resolve problem.

So, is this a sign of bad blower motor, or is there possibly another electrical control issue that is causing this? (And yes, the filter is clean, was cleaned this morning). Don't want to replace blower motor only to have problem persist. Blower has been in service 13 years.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-08, 09:10 AM
sounds like a bad blower motor. You may want to verify 240 supply voltage and tighten all electrical connections but most likely you will need a blower motor.

Old 07-10-08, 09:31 AM
New Discovery

I discovered this morning that the problem seems to correlate to compressor being on or off. The blower started running normal speed last night, but then this morning I found it running slow (with compressor on), so I moved control to "Fan On" and then turned off A/C mode, and noticed that a few minutes later, the Blower now running at more normal speed, as if the compressor now being off had improved the speed.

Any ideas on how the compressor on/off would correlate to this blower speed issue?

Now I do know for a fact that yesterday, prior to capacitor replacement, that the blower ran slow w/o the compressor on, so the 2 have not always correlated.

Old 07-10-08, 04:53 PM
Hopefully Resolved Now

Well, the problem was that the A/C coils icing up so much in furnace that restricting air flow, that was what was causing the noice - restricted airflow. So tech added 2lbs freon and seems to be OK now.

Side note- annoying thing is that 2 mos ago had freon checked b/c I thought vent temperature not super cold, and that tech claimed all normal, but clearly was wrong.

Bottom line -icing can restrict airflow, causing probs for blower. Hopefully I can self-diagnose next time...