Air conditioning making a gurgling noise

Old 07-13-08, 01:40 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air conditioning making a gurgling noise

Hi

Could anyone advise me.

My AC is making a gurgling/bubbling or sounds like running water only when it rains It still makes the noise for about 20 mins after shut down.

I have had the tech's in, but it's not raining when they come round, I have explained what it is doing, but they seem to not understand.

As anyone had the same experience

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Old 07-13-08, 06:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gurgleing

Note -There is some gurgleing sounds when the A/C shuts down due to the internal refrigerant equalizing in the condenser -Vs- evaporator through the metering device ( usually located at the evaporator (inside your home at the airhandler/furnace). That being said...

Coming out of the evaporator (*drain pan slightly unlevel towards the drain side of the pan lowest) - you need (in order) a trap first... and then a relief vent tee (open) to the sorrounding ambient air. If it is not that way... The water will hold up in the drain pan due to the *venturi effect, until the unit shuts down - when piped incorrectly the unit drains ( Making A Gurgleing sound) when the blower shuts down.

If it is in fact piped incorrectly and the unit runs long enough ( high humid conditions) - the water builds up enough to overflow and wet the inside of the unit and leak out of the cabinet to damage the sorrounding area ceiling/floor/carpet.

If it is piped correctly - Look for the drain pipe to be almost completely clogged. Get a friend to assist you - Use a (WET DRY)vacume cleaner to suck the garbage out of the drain at the furnace/airhandler - then if still clogged - In worst cases take off the drain line and temporarily pipe it (without PVC glue) into a waste bucket - then snug up your garden hose to the outside drain pipe and force clean water through the drain system backwards. Make sure you can communicate with the inside person watching over the drain bucket to tell you when the water coming out of the drain into the bucket is clear of garbage.

*Drain clogs happen because of poor filtering of return air or not changing the filter often enough.

Last edited by The Real Deal; 07-13-08 at 06:41 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: