Help needed with comparing air conditioners

Old 07-13-08, 01:53 AM
Help needed with comparing air conditioners

We need to replace our existing air conditioner and A-coil. We live in Pennsylvania (use our air May to Sept and heat November to March); our house is 2700sq ft. We have had estimates on Trane (XB13, XR13 and Xl14i) and Lennox(13ACX, XC13 and XC15). I have been doing some research and feel that we should have a 31/2 ton unit (current unit), 13 seer or more, R410A freon, 10yr warranty and an Energy Star appliance. We are having trouble finding the right "fit" unit. Can anyone help us with this? Should we be looking for something other than Trane or Lennox?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-08, 06:42 AM
Upvotes Received: 3
Brands are brands! Install is everything!!! Saying this Lennox has problems getting parts to us in a timely matter in my area. Cheap equipment usual are sold by company that don't do the best installs or service. Id look into at least a 15seer unit with variably speed blower.

Old 07-13-08, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by sbalde01 View Post
We are having trouble finding the right "fit" unit.
If you mean fit as in physical size, get over it. There is always, always going to be some problem with ductwork during change out.

If your trying to keep existing furnace, change it also to variable speed for higher SEER.

Changing from R22 to R410a means new linesey needed also.

Old 07-13-08, 03:45 PM
Why?

You said: "We are having trouble finding the right "fit" unit."

Why are you looking for the right fit? ( Benifits/features/Ductwork) ect... The salesman will find it for you, and the installer will make the new coil fit with duct transitions...lol

Take some time and look at the warranty - you will probably need it! - your better off, and time better spent!

Old 07-15-08, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"Right Fit"

If height is the problem, as I have encountered several times, in fitting a new 'A' coil onto the furnace, I've used some 'M' style coils. The ones I've used are more expensive that a standard 'A' coil but far cheaper than replacing the furnace just to get a shorter one onto which the coil will fit. The disadvantage, other than cost, is they are only going to give you 13 SEER.