Outside unit won't come on, and it is hot to the touch.

Old 07-14-08, 07:25 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside unit won't come on, and it is hot to the touch.

I know absolutely nothing about central air units, and have tried all the simple things I know. My air has been running great, but today the outside unit just cut off with no signs to me why. I have tried to turn the unit off for about an hour, but that didn't help. There is no freezing, but the top of the outside unit is very hot. It seems like there hasn't been any water draining from it. I have tried to flip the breakers, and also tried to turn the temp all the way down to see if I could trigger something. Any sort of help would be great.

Jason

Old 07-14-08, 07:58 PM
Any sounds at all when it shut off? Perhaps try and get someone to turn it on while someone else stays at the condensor outside to listen for any sounds. Do you have fuses in your disconnect?

Old 07-14-08, 08:07 PM
J
When we tried to turn it back on it only made a "click" sound. By my disconnect, do you mean the black box right by the unit?

Old 07-14-08, 08:25 PM
Yes, the disconnect is the outdoor box the A/C wires are connected to.

Also, when my Keeprite air conditioner did the click thing just like yours, I opened up the disconnect and changed out a stab in breaker. That was my issue, of course all systems vary. Just be careful working around electricity as always, cut power to the unit from inside if you have to change anything.

Old 07-14-08, 08:44 PM
J
How would I change out a stab in breaker?

Old 07-14-08, 09:18 PM
What model is your unit?

Also, regarding the breaker, I am going on personal experience. If your unit is anything like mine, it may be that, but it can vary greatly depending on units.

For ours, the click happened exactly like yours, at the outside unit, when the thermostat was set to start the A/C. I eventually followed the sound to the disconnect, which is attached to the back of my unit. Ours was padlocked by the previous owner with a lock to which we had not key, so we used a grinder to get the padlock off. The panel opened up and all that was inside was a breaker. Only the switch part is displayed as there is a secondary internal panel that covers the wires. We took it off, and decided to change the breaker out, as sometimes the simplest solution fixes a problem. Extremely easy installation wise. Unscrewed the hot and neutral wires, popped it out, bought a new one, reattached and closed the panel. My biggest and most important tip is whatever you do with your unit, be safe with the electricity, namely the 240 VAC the unit uses. Keep breakers off, and if you are uncomfortable around that kind of power, just call a tech.

I know from diagnosing my own problem that the click could also be a contactor.

Check what you have in your disconnect. Pictures may help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: